Do you stop and help?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ridgeline, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I work for Xpo. We’re not sure what happened with this driver as of yet, but this officer and the bystander who helped are true hero’s. I would have no hesitation to stop and help, and have in the past.

4. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I would not stop to help simply because I could not help. I don't drive a fire truck.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve stopped more than a few times. Once put out a van on fire. Saved a bunch of family pictures I was told. If it’s an accident, and already a bunch of people stopped to help, no need to add to the chaos.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I'd like to think my wife and kids would be far more appreciative of me being late for supper knowing I'd just stopped to help someone in need, rather than drive by as if nothing happened, and been on time for supper.

There's times I wouldn't stop. If there's already professionals helping out, I probably wouldn't stop unless it appeared they needed assistance. Or if my stopping to render aid would cause another accident.

Lawyers and judges, company policies, ELD's and HOS all get tossed aside when I'd make that decision to help or not. It's a moral thing I guess.

wore out, ed4207, rockeee and 4 others Thank this.
  7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    If I’m one of the first to arrrive on scene and I think I can help , then yes I have and would stop and help .

Also
    A lot of variables

is it in an city where the FD is three
    Minutes away ?

Or ina. Rural area where the FD is an hour away ?

Are there people trapped in the car ?
    Is the car in danger if burning ?

I grew up in rural Appalachia, 38 miles from the closest traffic light .

So I grew up even as a kid , helping at accidents because the volunteer fire department was gonna be an hour arriving .
    The ambulance was gonna be an hour arriving

you didn’t just drive on by unless you could tell that no assistance was needed .

8. ed4207

ed4207 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Maybe it's a rural way to think but I will never drive by a wreck and not help if I can. If the professionals are there I will let them handle it but i have offered to help if they are short handed.
    The worry about getting sued if you help sounds like a truckstop lunch counter story. Has anyone ever seen it happen? Not just somebody's neighbors second cousin back east.
    I know that in Montana there is a Good Samaritan law that protects people who try to help. If fact you are required to do what you can but I have never heard of it enforced. People who are medically trained have different rules than lay people.

9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Most states have instituted Good Samaritan Laws but there was a time when there were lawsuits filed against people that stopped to help.
    Like most here I am willing to stop and help but there are different circumstances that will determine if I stop and to what extent I help.

10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    In Florida it’s actually a law that you must help law enforcement when needed.

Probably not enforced but “it’s the law” :)

Siinman Thanks this.
  11. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    If I drove by and saw the driver slumped over the wheel with his truck on fire I’d absolutely stop.
    I highly doubt that my skinny caboose could drag him out of the seat but I’ll die trying.

Had my life saved by 3 guys in a boat once so it’s the least I can do. I was literally a goner and had no strength left to fight the current.

I keep 3 large extinguishers onboard so maybe I could have made a difference if it was early on.

Siinman, Sons Hero and kwswan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.