Do you take any other breaks besides the required 30 minutes?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, May 30, 2018.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    There have been times where I did 8/2 splits for a couple weeks straight where I was legitimately too tired to drive, but I’ve got to keep it real with new guys... I’ll give you a pass for the first week or two. It takes a bit to build up stamina to drive for long periods of time. But if you can’t put in 10 solid hours of sitting on your ### without needing a nap and a bottle, this is probably not the career for you.

I mean, I get it... the first few days, I’d be like hell yea man I probably drove 500 miles by now, it’s gotta be close to time that I take my 30. And my trainer would be like dude you’ve only driven for 2 hours. And you’ve been doing 55mph for most of it...

But I was running 4000 miles on his dedicated account within 2 weeks.

I bet if that was a video game controller instead of a steering wheel, none of y’all would have any issues going 10 hours straight, slurping down Mountain Dew with Cheeto grime all over the controller.

Just pretend you’re going to level 15 prestige in call of duty if you can drive your 8 without crying for god dispatcher to change your diaper.

Seriously though... it does get better, but as @Lepton1 told me before I went out with my trainer... TCB. Take care of Business. That means when you’re not driving, showering, ####ting, or eating, you’re sleeping or organizing equipment and then sleeping. And that especially goes for when you don’t have a load. Sitting up playing video games and chatting with some girl online all night, then when you get a hot load at 3pm and you have to drive all night you get your feelings hurt and blame dispatch because you can’t get miles.

Any time I have ever been too tired to drive, it’s because I didn’t follow that advice. That is professional driving 101. You take care of business. For almost every one of us this is the highest paying career we are even qualified to have. And for 90% of millennials, it’s the only decent paying job you’ve ever had or will ever have the OPPORTUNITY to have. Take some #### pride in it. Without us America shuts down within a mere 3 days. But also you need to have a lot of humility as well... your job is important, but it’s not difficult. 14 year old kids in Texas run ag loads at 105k 24/7/365 with no logs and no cdl. They don’t complain about not having breaks. They are providing for their family and yours.

When I was running local in Texas, I’d have killed to have 30 minutes to stop working lol.

Just turn the key, point the truck and go in the right direction without hitting anything for 4 hours. Take 20-30 and go until 8 hours. Take another 20-30 and drive until it’s time to park. Just watch your 14. And when you do park, take your ### and wash it, then go to sleep.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.