Do you truckers love your truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker Carlton, Oct 27, 2021.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I tend to agree with Ridgeline, of all the trucks I've had or driven, I can't say I was actually in love with any, they were merely machines to earn a living with and not capable of love back. For a spell, it was fashionable to name trucks, usually a "Miss" something( funniest one I saw was "Miss Behavin'), most being taken from old WW2 bombers, but I always thought it signaled a character flaw, or a lost love and that's silly. Now, a name on the hood, like one guy had "Takin' care of business", is perfectly fine.
    And yes, I do love my current truck, a '77 GMC ,, IMG_0094.JPG

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I have alot of pride in my truck .. but do I love it... NO... but I enjoy driving it alot ... But I Love my Fiance.. because she is a human.. that is made of flesh and blood with emotions..... My truck is a inanimate object.. that is made of aluminum,...steel.. chrome and rubber.. I give them both the best care possible.. and neither of them has let me down.. My Fiance has a name... my truck doesn't...everybody else likes to call my truck ..Sister Christian because of the motto on the back of the sleeper.. but it's still just a truck to me that's been a part of my life for the last 25 years

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I have one truck that I’m attached to that I’ll never get rid of, and that’s the 1980 Freightliner that my dad got new. Other than that, I don’t get attached to them. But I do take pride in them and they are usually clean and polished while they are in my possession. I’ve said many times I don’t view a truck as a simple tool, I like to look back at it when I walk away, I like getting pics of it people take while I’m driving down the road. I like it when people look at me like I’m crazy when I’m wiping it off at night before I go to bed, but I also hope it motivates them to do something positive in their life.

Years ago I was a member on the forum on Hanks website. I used to post pics of the company truck I was driving and man I’d get all kinds of hateful comments, saying I was dumb for keeping a company truck clean on my own time, that if I’m not getting paid I shouldn’t be doing it. Completely amazed me how many guys thought I was spending 2-3 hours on a Saturday morning doing something I shouldn’t be doing. But that truck was where I spent my Monday to Friday and I wanted it clean and polished.

Anyway, I love them while I have them but I’ve never named a truck and I don’t get attached to them because I know they’re going down the road someday. Also having a dog has cut down on the conversations I have with the truck. Lol

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I will add that we see it on this sight all the time, “I don’t need to sleep for 10 hours so why do I need 10 hours off?”. Providing your truck just has a little dust and some bugs on it in less than 30 minutes you can have it wiped off, have you wheels wiped out, and wipe down your tires. That leaves 60-90 minutes to eat and shower and you’ll still have 8 hours left to kill.

I still say the coolest thing I’ve seen all summer was a guy in his 20’s driving a CFI t680 company truck and he had that thing waxed and polished and man did it look good. Most of the time when you’re wiping your truck off anyone that walks by says “you can do mine next” and when I walked up and told him how good his truck looked he was just smiling ear to ear. Really all it takes is a simple compliment to make it all worth it.

6. Trucker Carlton

Trucker Carlton Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Georgia
    Okay I love my truck but not to the point I’m kissing it or what this guy does. I don’t #### with my truck like that. So that video, was out of ordinary but that’s him. Love my truck but not to the point that I want to ####.

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I have a twisted mind and this thread reminded me of that guy. Wish I never saw it but now I’ll never forget.

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Eh, i enjoy her, but love is a boy strong for me, no names from me, occasionally my sister in law has a name for a vehicle and it sticks, so gracie (greysee?) It is.

Not a looker but dependable and low maintenance, though seeing what i spend on her it doesnt always feel that way.

20211028_104828.jpg

9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    A sand and polish on that alum would make that truck something for sure. Maybe some 6” smoke stacks also. It doesn’t take much to make a old T600 into something!

10. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    My first truck was a 07 Freightliner Century. Ugly white truck, steel wheels, dash cracked up and rattling, doors leaking in the cold air. It was a solid, dependable truck though. I sold it to a local guy for $10,000 after 3 years. To this day when I see it I feel a certain bond with it. I know it was a good girl for me and helped me immensely in getting where I am today as an owner operator.

I don’t see how you can help but have a certain bond with any truck that does good and makes your living for you uncomplainingly for several years.

11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    You turned north in front of me in Pratt Kansas other day. No doubt you take pride in your ride. I’d be proud of one like that too

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.