Do your DOT MC numbers have to be a certain size?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Oct 18, 2018.

1. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    MC # no longer required.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    I order 12x24 custom decals from eBay. In prior I printed company name, city state, MC, USDOT. Visible from distance, never had an issues with DOT.
    Now will be getting new decals and probably will print company name [mandatory], MC [optional] and USDOT [mandatory]. I don't want to print to much unnecessary information on the side. I don't mind walking to weight station, if they need any additional information such as vin etc.

Rideandrepair and TruckRunner Thank this.
  4. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    I read somewhere that home office city/ town was required under company name. I see alot that don’t.
    As for Colorado, you’ll want your last 8 vin to avoid getting called in every once in a while. They still like to keep track of you even though they know that they are on your cab card. Prepass helps alot if you don’t.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Anybody have a link showing what the current requirements are? I'm in the process of getting the graphics done on a new truck now. So MC is no longer required and letters at least 2" tall? As of now I'm thinking company name and city on my door, and on my sleeper USDOT and VIN. Anything else? Does there have to be a trailer and truck number shown? I'm just a one truck/trailer outfit and it's probably just going to be number 1 on both.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
  7. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Really quick question please respond if you can...can my dot numbers be in chrome? I was told it will still be readable just shiny. Thanks

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yeah. You want the high speed camera readers to be able to read and interpret the numbers otherwise you may not get a bypass if you were otherwise eligible.

9. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Just in case you guys missed my question thx

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't see why not.
    As long as it isn't chrome on white. Chrome on black would be fine. Contrasting colors is all it says.
    I considered chrome as well (black truck) but later decided on a cool font instead. My letters are light grey.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.