Dock incident, was told good to go but a guy was still in trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Iemontel, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    no he would not win and he would not sue you, he would sue your company and don't worry about it becuase he would have to prove you were negligent which you were not.

I have a team that locked someone in the trailer for a 20 hour trip, he was trying to grab some high end electronics that were being delivered to a warehouse. This was a drop and hook for another load from there. He was in the trailer for almost 36 hours before they opened the doors.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Pay back lol

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It's been so many years I can't even remember exactly what happened but at some point there was some incident that someone was in my trailer when I pulled out.

Nothing happened no one got hurt but it must have made a real lasting imprint on me because now I do not assume the trailer is empty.

Even if I have a green light I still tend to crawl out of the door and be very careful watching and listening just in case.

There are times that the lights don't work or the lights don't work right and there are times that someone may hand you paperwork and someone else might get in the trailer or whatever. You never know maybe someone finished the paperwork and they handed it to you but they weren't quite finished with the truck.

.If it's a place I'm unfamiliar with a lot of times I'll walk out and look behind the trailer and make sure that I see the door is closed before I pull out.

Whatever the situation like I said I always crawl out of the door to be safe.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I would of done the same. I get handed my paperwork and that's that. And a lot of these places now will not let you on the dock so how are you supposed to check it.

What I do in that type of situation and I have a lot of places with no dock lock or light. I'll walk back and look under to see that they removed the dock plate and the dock door is shut

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And even if you do check it, what's to stop the dock worker from going back in your trailer after you turn your back and go outside to move the truck?

JoeyJunk and kylefitzy Thank this.
  7. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Simple answer is Got paperwork, told its ok to pull out, best I could tell ramp was up, when I looked. Moved truck and he for some unknown reason went back into truck and neglected to notify me!
    Counter sue for the mental anguish of him getting hurt.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Nothing but his fault then

drvrtech77 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    The way this reads to me is he was trying to steal high end electronics, yes/ no?
    If so I say glad to hear he got SCREWED!
    Have a bunch of stories from a place I worked that the average load was over the million mark and the crap those lowlifes would try to steal stuff was ridiculous to say the least.

Iemontel Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    he could win, cuz you failed to double check the trailer and surrounding area. the lawyer for him will see to it, he is the innocent victim, and IF, i say IF he is an immigrant? he will win big time, cuz you don't like immigrants, is what his lawyer will say about you..

Iemontel Thanks this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    and there you go...you failed to double check for a clear trailer...

this is on you.

never take anyone's word that you are "all set to go"...

Iemontel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.