Dock incident, was told good to go but a guy was still in trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Iemontel, Oct 20, 2022.

1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You are supposed to fit your head up in that small hole and look in your trailer. LOL

I have stuck my phone up there and took a pic to see if the trailer was empty when there was no movement for awhile.

@ZVar is right. There is nothing stopping someone from going back in trailer AFTER you verify that it’s empty.

Tired of the make excuses for stupid people culture. Your stupidity is not my problem.

48Packard and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iemontel

Iemontel Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Sorry that’s a type error i me t to say the workers boss not my boss but I agree it was a verbal green light instead of a visual green light

4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok. Then the workers boss is an idiot. If the worker gave you your signed bols and told you that you were good to go. How can it possibly be your fault. Simple, its not.

5. Iemontel

Jan 10, 2020
    Thanks I’m about get my home time , I don’t want to have this on my mind

bad-luck Thanks this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    This is why you always walk back to check where the dock plate is to know if they’re done or not and check to see if dock door is closed.

7. Iemontel

Jan 10, 2020
    Yes from now on I’m going bang on the trailer to see someone in there lesson learned

8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Depends if I like them or not!

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    no he won't, here is why.

Osha (and the state's version) all require safety guards on docks and the company that manage those docks are liable to securing the dock to prevent someone from reentering the trailer or falling as a result of a person walking onto the trailer. Once the driver was told he was good to go, any activity on the trailer needs to cease and the safety fall barrier needs to be in place.

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i ain't been to many places that had such "barriers".(and i'm even talking about unionized companies, that are usually high on safety)

not even a plastic link chain, across the dock doors..

sometimes the dock plate is still in the truck, and of course falls into its place once the trailer leaves, some get lifted up, and stay up, then some get placed into thier "parked" position.

11. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    I don't see how it can be your fault if the guy said you where good to go, and especially stupid of him to run back in the trailer afterwards.

I did have a case once where a worker left his cell phone on a pallet while loading me, but he didn't reenter the trailer until making sure I knew first. Might have been a similar situation with your guy. Dock workers are normal people and can drop/forget things and in a panic rush in to try and get it before you leave.

It's why I'll always pull forward a few feet very gently and walk back to look in the trailer before pulling out all the way. It wont risk damage/injury to people/stuff inside and it's easy to redock if someone forgot a piece of equipment in the trailer.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.