Documents I need to carry in the truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jefe999, Jun 3, 2023.

  1. Jefe999

    Jefe999 Bobtail Member

    May 28, 2022
    I’m a new Cdl hire for a large delivery company and I’m the first Cdl yard switcher/yard goat they hire to move 53 ft trailers from their auxiliary yard to the distribution warehouse. I drive their suppose road worthy yard goat which is a rental from TCI. I have a few questions.

    Are lap belts DOT approved. It’s not your typical belt, it’s just one that goes over the lap. Like 60s cars.

    what documents do I need to have with me? Insurance, registration….etc. do I need paper logs.

    I worry I get pulled over and get thrown under the bus by this company.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Lav-25

    Lav-25 Light Load Member

    Mar 31, 2018
    Seat belt - the seat belt should be up to date as of the date of manufactor ( built in 75 / up to date in 75 ) , now that said if its wore out ( buclkles and snap ) then those are a citation)
    As far as a road , yea - insurance registration , just like your car.
    ( even if its only a 100 yards)
  4. Lazer

    Lazer Road Train Member

    Jan 22, 2017
    When going onto a city street/road/highway etc., the yard dog legally should be licensed/tag/plates, all the paperwork for any commercial vehicle would have. As for the trailer, a bill of lading, registration, proper placards displayed, etc.,
    Lav-25 Thanks this.
  5. 50WT

    50WT Medium Load Member

    Dec 26, 2015
    I hauled new spotters sometimes called terminal tractors from the factory, Tico brand for a couple years. There was standard and DOT models. The DOT was a streetable one it came with safety equipment, triangles, fire ext. and a lot more paperwork. But I've delivered non DOT ones to companies that were driving sometimes a mile or more to a drop lot . I guess it's whatever the local law will put up with.
    Bean Jr. and Lav-25 Thank this.
  6. 4wayflashers

    4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

    Mar 14, 2014
    Rabies vaccination card.
    Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. 4wayflashers

    4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

    Mar 14, 2014
    Yeah thats a tricky situation and you very well could have special rules as far as logs and BOLs but Id think you would have to be responsible for any mechanical issues if you were stopped or in an accident. Do they have you moving Hazmat placarded trailers? That would increase the likelitude of being stopped or having a spill or problems and most certainly you would need the BOLs.

    Id inquire about this with the safety dept. Through email is best because they will be a lot less likely to bs you because that is admissible in court. You would still be responsible at the end of the day but any safety dept has to be careful how they instruct employees. Don’t rely on management or even other drivers as this is a new thing for that location and they might be unsure themselves.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  8. Thrasher28

    Thrasher28 Medium Load Member

    Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Don’t need logs on that short of a distance, yes you SHOULD have a BOL, but when I yard dogged in a similar situation when I was 18, we never carried a BOL. We carried all other paperwork however. As far as how concerned you should be, it all comes down to how far the warehouse and yard is apart and where. 7 miles apart in Cali? Better have your ducks in a row like any road truck. A mile apart in rural Kentucky? You’ll be fine.
    Bean Jr., Lav-25 and 4wayflashers Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

    Moose1958 Road Train Member

    Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Do you want the technical answer or the real-world situational answer?

    Technically speaking when you put a CMV on the highway you are supposed to have all the legals required of an OTR truck. There should be an inspection sticker on it. You need proof of insurance. Legally there should be an IFTA sticker as well as a single state documentation. (the IFTA and single state might have some state-by-state exceptions). You will NOT need to keep logs, but you are required to have the means to keep track of your on duty time. (395.1(e)(1)(iv)) This can be satisfied by something as simple as a time card.

    Real-world, just ask your boss and follow what they tell you. The only time I ever saw a yard dog pulled over was at the Mars plant in New Jersey coming out of an off-plant place where they staged trailers. In that case, I have no idea why the driver was stopped. I can only guess there was something wrong with the trailer.
    Bean Jr., Lav-25 and 4wayflashers Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted