Does anyone else have a truck like this?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jakebrake12, Feb 18, 2013.

1. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

The next time They hook up to it with the computer have them look for " load based speed control".......If it has it, set it on disable.
    My truck used to do the very same thing until that was disabled in the ECM.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    If it is set that way I don't think the mechanics can do that. I wouldn't ask them to change it either because of the way things work around here. I will ask if that's a setting though.

Should mention I average around 5.9 to 6.5 but doubles are always rough on fuel.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    what part of the injector is failing? The actual tip?

What is the PN of your fuel filter?

Seriously, When was the last time you fully tested your coolant?

Are the injector failures the same on ALL trucks? Random? Tips? Cups? what is failing on the injector?

5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    They have not told me what they have found, as I said the DD rep is handling my account at this point, coolant was tested when the units were all put in service 9 months ago, also oil samples were taken at that time, everything was well within spec. All services are preformed at Freightliner. Also, as I said this is NOT an isolated incident on injectors with just these trucks, do a search on DD13/15 injectors problems, you will get pages!!!

6. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    I am all to well aware of that information on the DD13 spec's. I went looking for information on the Detroit website last year when I was running the DD15.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  7. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi Stan. I wish I had some input that could help, I really do. It sucks to see someone who has made an investment and provided what they thought was a high quality truck to their drivers go through what you are dealing with. The only thing I can think of is what the top tech at the Detroit dealer taught me, follow the wires. He told me that the problems with these trucks is often found in a faulty wire, and that a bad wire, or wires, can cause all kinds of problems as they change the values of the signals traveling through them and this starts a cascade effect and the ecm begins self medicating, or making adjustments that it shouldn't be making, trying to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist, "failed within spec".... it results in a slow gradual degradation in performance. I don't know if this help, it's all I got..

8. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    sounds like you are saying it's a buss issue then with the interface between the engine and the chassis.

THAT would totally turn me off on it.

I'd still like to know more about the injector failures. I did some looking for information on them and can't find anything really.

9. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    That might be the problem.

10. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I'm sure to a degree you are both right on the "wiring" issue, since these trucks have been on the road three of them have had complete injector harnesses replaced. Evidently some of these harnesses are prone to oil wicking.

BTW, had a truck at Freightliner last night to replace a bad ABS sensor wire, had a intermittent break in it.

The service writer said that he forgot to call me this week, but he just got word that from now on if I have even one injector showing weak, that they are to replace the whole set. He said this is now an across the board TSB for ALL DD13/15 that are still under the 500,000 warranty.

Just a heads up for anyone else having issues.

11. shoedive

shoedive Bobtail Member

May 13, 2014
    Just wanted to let you know, I have a 09 Cascadia with a Detroit s60, 14l. I was having low power issues and poor fuel mileage with mine until I finally had my dpf filter professionally cleaned. This made a huge difference as it was all clogged up. The engine light finally came on and prompted me to have it cleaned. I wish I would have done this much sooner as I have spent literally thousands in extra fuel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.