does anyone know how much is 3% of idling equals to hours?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by kaly, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    my Volvo 09 w/ D13 , idles at 3-4 gl/hr@900-1000 rpm. all night

NOT 1gl/hr

no gov or idle rules either. I regulate it myself and the company has no complaints

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    ####, you are drinking fuel then.

My D13 has the idle set to 700 when on PTO and uses about .7 gal/hr. If it goes into clean mode, it bumps itself to 1250 rpm for a while and the consumption goes up to 4 gal/hr.

4. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    My truck has 36% idle time. I don't turn my truck off until I'm at home parked

5. Truck-N-Tech

Truck-N-Tech Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    If you drive 100 minutes, or 1 Hr. and 40 minutes, then idle for 3 minutes, you are at 3%. If you run 3 Hrs. and 20 minutes, you can idle 6 minutes to stay within the same 3%. If you run all day, without stopping, for 10 hours, that would be 600 minutes. You could idle 18 minutes, and be within 3%.

I myself drove a 2012 Freightliner Cascadia, which had a bunk heater / cooler that worked very well. No reason to idle. I would be in 15 degree weather, and the heater would keep the entire cab (NOT just the sleeper area) around 80 degrees. The cooler did not do as well, but kept the truck cool enough to sleep in.

6. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    At my last OTR gig, I would only idle during the sleeping hours of my 10 hour break, which was usually in the 5-6 hour range.

Loading/unloading...truck off.
    Having dinner and hanging out for a few hours before sleeping...truck off.
    Fueling or other miscellaneous breaks...truck off.

Still, it was all I could do to keep idle percentage under 40%. The problem lies in how idle percentage is calculated. It's not (at least at the company I worked for) based on your tour of duty hours, but on engine run time. Every time you shut the truck off, the idle clock stops. If it was set up that when you went out for the week, month, etc, you could "reset the cache" and calculate idle time based on total hours, the numbers would be much less. Basically, any company with an idle allowance of less than 20% if it's calculated off engine run time, is pretty much telling you you can't idle, period.

DedHedEd Thanks this.
  7. barwick

barwick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Manning,SC
    Vote with your feet, tell them you resign

8. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

I have worked for 4 OTR outfits. When you are ready to tell the whole story of why you got fired let me know, because my BS meter went off the scale with that excuse. Have never heard of any OTR company fire a driver with more then 3 mos at the company for a incident such as you described.

You had more then that incident to get fired, And why should Knight pay because you got stuck in the first place. Did the rest of the trucks get stuck? Did you listen in truck driving school when they discussed driving off a paved surface onto a uneven surface unpaved or soft surface. Don't blame it on the truck. You hi centered and probably only had to get pulled a few feet.

Carry a tow chain with you if you don't want to check the unpaved areas you want to drive on. It can save you a tow.

Had a dully PU pull me out when I hi centered in the snow, did not even need another truck or a tow.

tracyq144 Thanks this.
  9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Seven pages now?

I do believe we have found the longest mathematical equation in history!:biggrin_25523:

10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    and we haven't even considered this yet.....

The Power of Three is symbolized by a "triquetra", a Celtic pattern that shows the center of three connected circles (somtimes bound together by a fourth circle in the center).

11. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    OK, OK...now we're just getting obtuse.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.