Does anyone still enjoy being a trucker?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by GuitarDude, Sep 4, 2020.

1. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Don’t worry. Bison is figuring out a way to get a driver there to get the load moving again....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I would imagine that the stress is overpowering. Running 14,000 miles a month is ridiculous. If a 26 year old gets ill I would drop dead after 2 weeks !!!

BigHossVolvo and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I love my job. 21 years ltl. I have a grand total of 15 minutes at the start and end of my run of contact with management, get both hourly and mileage pay, no worries about breakdowns. 5 weeks vacation, I’m good. Home in my bed every day.

5. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Currently running on paper logs on a Halifax > Toronto run. The Canadian hours are so flexible that I don't even need to run double logs. I can drive back nonstop if I wanted to but it's absolutely terrible to be sitting that long.

Moral of the story take care of your health. One bad accident from being too tired, and your life is basically over. Know your limit.

6. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    I took a break at the start of the pandy. Trucking isn't worth it... :eek:

Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  7. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    OTR isn’t worth it, Local/LCV/LTLs are amazing. I should have gotten off the highway WAY sooner.

Anyone new reading this, if you can get into a driving position of any kind, with XPO/UPS/Estes/FedEx/ABF/Etc etc Do It! You might have to work your way up to a line haul position, but it’s worth it! Way better than spending 2-3 years in a slave show OTR outfit; trying to get experience.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  8. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I was listening to Road Dog radio on Friday, while Piking my way home from Regina (long weekend off, Woot!) and they were talking about “Driver Shortage” and “Retention”. OTR/LongHaul has had a 100% turnover rate for 36 years in both Canada and the US. By contrast, the LTL companies have never exceeded 8% in the same period, even when they include the Yellow/YRC/Remier dumpster fire. This rep from UPS just BLASTED the mega carriers and literally called them “Rolling Sweatshops” and “Meat-grinders” on air; I couldn’t stop smiling the whole drive home.

9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Couldn't agree more myself. I'm starting to get burnt out with the industry again to be honest. Might take a month long vacation to Costa Rica again.

I honestly have nothing but respect for your older drivers who have been driving for 10+ years. I salute the patience and skill you guys have.

How is lcv going?

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Absolutely Excellent! Mind you I'm on a semi scheduled run Pin to Pin, not open board BS, and I'm only working 5 days a week. Money is excellent, I don't talk to anyone, I have a set time the 2 trailers will be ready, hookup, and as long as I have them to another terminal before midnight the next day, no one cares how I do it. Money is excellent, home time is excellent, getting new converters, might even get to keep the same one.

If its slow, city by the hour. But its so busy moving pike freight, I could work 7 days a week if I wanted to.

I do not miss delivering, AT ALL. Just pin to pin, yard to yard, usually after 5pm so, no one is there.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  11. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    So another fun fact I learned today, piking home for the weekend, listening to Road Dog. The private fleets (Coop, Costco, Walgreens, etc etc etc) have a 14% turnover rate for the last 36 years, pay roughly 3x what For Hire General Freight pays and 80% of those jobs; are home every night.

Really amazing, honestly, I think trucking needs to be redefined into 3 categories, and these numbers need to be on the FRONT ####ING PAGE!

Vocational, Private Fleets, LCV and LTL.

Forget General Freight of ANY KIND! Esp OTR.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.