Does anyone still enjoy being a trucker?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by GuitarDude, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Holion5604

Holion5604 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2021
    Lol Trades. if you want to get laid off once every year, sure. I'm here trucking after getting laid off once every year for 5 years working as a machinist. I studied machining at George brown college that school is a joke. saw 6 classmates blatantly cheating at a final exam because the idiot professors was asleep.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I enjoy it more over past year since covid lock downs , at least we can move across the border ,wander around ; i have friends going nutz ,working from home office jobs, locked in house with family for over a year , already on the brink of divorce.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    @Chinatown :D

5. TruthaMucka

TruthaMucka Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Fort St John, BC Canada
    Worst move of my life.

I have a great record, I have insane experience across several industries from construction to logging to oilfield to municipal. I've run truck & pup gravel, tri-quad gravel, end dump, belly dump, clam dump, hi-boy, heavy haul low bedding, straight can tankers, tri-quad tankers, B-Train tankers, I've even moved houses.
    No accidents and a near spotless driving abstract and I can't get a lick of respect or a decent wage anymore.
    I'm expected to drive trucks that are out of service. I couldn't even get a fuel card at the last place I worked, and I ran 5 different trucks, 3 of which had malfunctioning fuel guages. The most ridiculous Mickey Mouse #### I've ever seen.

I've been run into the ground hours wise, over and over again.

I've been assaulted by a spoiled little mouthy rat faced mechanic and his friend who came with him to work, both of whom I then had to put in the hospital. Guess who got fired because they are less important. Mechanic down means the fleet could go down.....axe the driver and you only lose one truck. At least I beat the #### out of him and his friend though, so it was kind of worth it.

I've been fired for sleeping on the side of the road for 3 hrs after a 28 hr shift, after trying to unfreeze a communication hose in -42°C 80km/hr winds in northern Alberta. Fired because I didn't answer the phone. I couldn't, I was dead to the world, sleeping at the disposal facility. The same boss, who has rolled 5 trucks in his life, 2 on dry pavement, has the balls to tell me, no accidents ever, that I can't drive. Lol! Needless to say I nearly strangled that punk puke loser right there on the spot.

People ignoring your advice, then the problem that you warned them of arises, and then suddenly it's somehow magically becomes your fault.

The public hates you. Truck cops are looking to screw you over.

I could go on, this isn't even scratching the surface, but just imagine 16 yrs of that. Endless crap. I've officially now resigned my Class 1 license. I no longer even want the designation on my license because no one is able to find drivers around here, and when I apply for other jobs, they try and wrangle me into a truck. No way. I finally had enough, handed it in, and got a normal license. Best move I ever made.

BigHossVolvo and skipgears Thank this.
  6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Huh. Sorry you had a bad experience. 21 years in ltl, best job I ever had.

7. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Were you in bed with management? Care to post your work experience for us to scrutinize. Seems you've had some great luck!

8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    He's on your team dude! Union and Linehaul.

skipgears Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Do I still enjoy being a trucker? Yes I do. I don't drive full time anymore but there are days when it's a pure joy to get away from the office and head for the mountains.
    I started trucking in the late 60s and I've tried other lines of work but I always came back to driving. I've been lucky to have had mostly good jobs with good people to work for.
    That being said, most of my driving has been short regional and local work. If I'd put in 50 plus years of OTR I might be as sour as some of the people we see on here.

10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Not union, but Linehaul.

Wasted Thyme and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.