Does my truck have a power inverter?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Leosmel, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    lol too funny. I like that response

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I missed that response, but that's how you get a burnt down truck.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I agree. My first inverter was a modified sine wave unit. I noticed that when I had my laptop plugged in to it, that the inline power block would get very warm. It never did that plugged in at home. When I went to a pure sine wave unit it stayed cool. Now I'm far from being an expert on these things but I just don't think that the box being that warm all of the time could be good for it.

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    That would be a decrease in efficiency, my 300 something watt laptop never had an issue. The only reason I switched was the PS4 Pro didn't like the output when the motor was running.

6. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    The biggest question is how do you buy a truck and not know if it has a inverter

haycarter and driverdriver Thank this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Unfortunately, it’s all too true. Some drivers think nothing of cramming a wire through a jagged hole in the metal floor—a wire that is capable of delivering hundreds of amps when the insulation rubs through and burns the truck to the ground.

I’d estimate 95% of all drivers and a good percentage of so called professional mechanics have no business with anything electrical.

SL3406 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well hell ladr, I bought my first truck with the inverter bolted to a peice of aluminum plate that was bolted to the floor. below the plate was the battery charger and auto switch unit under the inner and outer sleeper. I didn't know any of it was there until I stripped the sleeper out to remodel it.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree but it isn't just them but also a few shops that work on and bulld sleepers who need to take lessons. My buddy has a remodeling sideline and hates one of these popular custom sleeper makers becuase he has had a battle with them on the use of solid conductor house wiring. He was on the road one time and he said he could smell plastic burning, found out it was coming from behind the fridge and pulled the fridge to discover the plastic vinyl was melting. So he cut the inverter off, cut and pulled the wall apart to discover these idiots not just used house wiring but also had no grommets in the holes and didn't deburr the hole. He complained to the company who made the sleeper and the they told him too bad.

ladr Thanks this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Don't think it's the wire colors. How the wires are routed, will they wear through and short out? Straight off batteries will throw fire like a welder.

11. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Just remembered Thursday 3 trucks burned at Girard Ohio ( Piolet or Petro). Side by side. Heard the center truck caught fire and ignited the others. Might still be on WKBN Youngstown tv web site? My friend sent me pics. Not a pretty sight. Didn't hear of injuries or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.