Does registered weight have any bearing on CDL / commercial status

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bdog, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Let me explain.

I have a gooseneck trailer with a 15,340 lb GVWR

I have a F-250 with a 10k GVWR

I can have someone with a basic class c license drive this since the combo is under 26k. If going out of state the combo is over 10k and is Commerical and requires logs, med card, dot numbers, ucr, etc.

The truck without a trailer is under 10,001 and by itself is never commercial even when out of state.

The trailer has a fixed load which never changes. It only has 11k on the trailer axles but puts the truck at 11k also. The truck axle and tire ratings are over 6k each so I am not over those. I have in the past had a dually pickup registered for way over the GVWR (but under axle/tire ratings) and I had no issues when getting stopped or going through scales. Texas told me they don’t enforce GVWR they only care that 1) you are registered for enough weight, 2) your axles are not overloaded, 3) your tires are not overloaded.

My question is if I up my truck registration to say 11,500 will that cause any issues for a non CDL driver since the registered weights of the truck and trailer are over 26k? The Combined GVWR is 25,340 and actual weight is 22k.

What about the pickup by itself going out of state - since the registered weight is over 10k would it be considered commercial even though the GVWR and actual weight are below 10k?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    First of all. You are fixed on GVWR of each.

Since you are now a COMBINATION VEHICLE, The GVWR does not matter much. You are now dealing with GCVWR. (Gross combination vehicle etc) And probably will be over 26001 pounds.

Now the second part.

If you haul as a motor carrier for revenue, you are in intrastate commerce never leaving your state. You will need a Tier One CDL for this. You will probably need it anyway because it is a combination vehicle therefore Class A.

The minute you load your truck and cross a state line, you are now engaged in interstate commerce. You need a CDL and so on so forth etc.

You can register or apportion a vehicle whatever you like. Just do NOT overpay to the state for say 80000 pounds. It's wasteful of your money. Make sure that you pay attention to the heaviest real world weight you will ever have on that thing and just BUY enough tag to be just a little over that legally.

The only possible scenario I can think of in which you are not a CDL or engaged in either interstate or intrastate is a vehicle stipulation under which it is NOT. FOR. HIRE.

deathB4decaf and Bdog Thank this.
  4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    GCVWR is definitely under 26k. It is not by default class A and no CDL is needed to drive it. I have a authority and have had a DOT number over ten years and we have had probably a dozen pickups and trailers in this general weight range (over 20k and under 26k) operating commercially both intra and interstate and have never needed CDL drivers for them. Been through audits, numerous scales, roadside stops, etc. I have a pretty good understanding of that part of it.

My question is can my registered weight alone trigger any of this stuff if the GVWR/GCVWR is under the limits.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok, I'll back it down a tad on my postion.

I offer you something else. If you live in a American State, that state should have what is called a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division.

CALL THEM and they will be MORE than PLEASED to help answer and settle this strong any time. They want to help you rather than catch you on the road and ticket.

If you register a vehicle at 25500 or something total then it should be fine is it not? We agree that 26001 is a magic number.

I also say that perhaps there i sno point trying to get under 10001. Agreed?

Now... I offer one last thought for many here.

There is apparently a beginning of what I call Barbarians at the Gates. Meaning everyone and their brother and sisters are buying basic vans like they used to do in the 60's so that they can go out and ... eh... be a trucker with it and be unregulated. Making money.

There is going to be a awful lot of these vans running about, Say a 8000 gross weight like my Tahoe. (It's registered at 8500 pounds but capable of taking up to 14000 total with a trailer on my hitch, and I really don't want to it's already a little bit of older worn out vehicle at 270000 miles.)

That is the theory I have on what is going on right now. People are doing whatever they can to have either a nice big van, a nice strong pickup truck maybe and just haul a pallet or two for a thousand dollars a day here there and yon. So that the shipper cannot be botherd to find a 18 wheeler to show up and get two pallets in the nose with all the regulations and overhead and costs that go with it.

Bdog Thanks this.
  6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks for the reply.

I will contact our CMV department. It is about an hours trip for me and they never answer the phone but I guess that beats a ticket. I was just trying to get some advice from here first.

The getting under the 10,001 part is just for the truck. We drive this truck all over the place for work with no trailer and I do not want to have to deal with HOS when we have no trailer. As an example we drove it from Texas to Florida and back recently, no trailer.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Also for what it is worth we never haul anything for hire with this rig. Only haul our own equipment to our job sites. The only for hire hauling we do is with the semi.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    OH then that's different.

If you own a truck and everything loaded into it that is all you'rn and no money to be made hauling it then it's just a truck with stuff on it. Like... for example I carried a new stove on my pickup going home 20 miles. It's not a hire or revenue job. Its strictly private.

deathB4decaf and Bdog Thank this.
  9. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    This is basically the crux of my question. Does the registered weight even matter for the purposes of determining if it is a commercial vehicle or the class of license required. I know if your GVWR/GCVWR or actual weights are over 26k you need a CDL but what about registered weight?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    For hire is irrelevant. The criteria is "commercial". If it's used in business, it's commercial.

My understanding is that it's all about vehicle weight RATINGS, not registration. I would call the local commercial enforcement folks at your friendly state police or port of entry. They are usually pretty sharp.

Dan.S, Bdog and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    It is not private for us. We do work for hire and haul our equipment to our job sites and need DOT numbers, etc where applicable. About the only difference between what we do and hauling for hire is we don’t need an MC number.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.