Does the Air Conditioning have to work to take the CDL Skills Test?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NY2001, May 12, 2022.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Bunch of sissies. You know how many hours I've spent sweating my balls off in a hohn deere tractor with broken A/C. The older ones wasn't so bad you could open windows and catch a breeze. Newer ones are just a glass box and too nice to let all the dust in

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Why did you say bus then switch to truck???

4. NY2001

NY2001 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2019
    That is my mistake and made corrections. Thanks for pointing that out.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You didn't fail.

It isn't a requirement in any state for a working a/c, how can they tell in the winter time the a/c is working?

If she actually failed you in writing because of it, I would file a written complaint with the state explaining that this is the vehicle you are testing with and there is no law requiring a working air conditioning unit. And f it is a third party tester, then file a complaint with their company too.

Failure means you missed something that is part of the test, not lack a convenience for the examiner.

6. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    I didn't mean to sound rude, i just genuinely wanted to know what you meant to better help you.....

7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If I recall, sometime in the mid 1990’s OSHA ruled that any enclosed operator’s compartment, ie: a cab of a truck, forklift, pay loader, etc., the HVAC system must be operational, if the occupant is hired personnel.
    I worked for a construction company until late 1999, and the owner commented that new equipment he was purchasing the previous couple years, he had to keep the HVAC working in those model years of equipment, and trucks. He also mentioned no longer could equipment( that was equipped with a full cab)be special ordered without AC.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Lmao, The only thing you need working is a defroster, air conditioning is still an option, I’d go back with an old Mack next time and tell them tough ####

9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Did her name tag say “Karen”?

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but, are you aware that in "defrost" mode, the A/C IS on and running? even in dead of winter..??

that's right, to "defog" or "defrost" the inside of the windshield, the a/c is ON to take away the moisture inside the vehicle. pretty much ALL vehicles work this way, not just cars.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-does-a-car-defroster-work-437630/

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    20 years after that, I was driving a spotter truck that was a mere 3 years old and had no A/C. Not even a switch for it. And it was a newer Ottawa, so it didn't have the sliding window on the right, only the crank window on the left.

You could try to leave the back door open for a breeze, but all the heat from the engine compartment would roll right in (along with the dust from the gravel lot).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.