Does the Air Conditioning have to work to take the CDL Skills Test?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NY2001, May 12, 2022.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’m aware of how modern stuff works, but all you need is hot (well was usually just warmish) air, and there are still plenty of trucks running around without any ac system.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NY2001

NY2001 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2019
    You weren’t being rude at all. Thanks.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    correct, plenty of trucks running around WITHOUT installed a/c systems from the factory.

but my belief is, "if the factory installed it, it should be in working condition"

how about headlights, or turn signals then....???

should they be in working condition for the pre-trip?

how about the drive shaft or the wipers, shouldn't they be in working condition.>??

if it's "installed from the factory" then it should be working.

same thing about added on chicken lights....if they are installed, they should be ALL working.

once something is INSTALLED on or in the vehicle, either from the factory or added on, by the shop, or the owner, it should ALL be working.

not working..??

failure.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet again you are wrong. There is a specific list and if it's not on that list it doesn't have to work.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I must be an outlaw. Drove a truck for a year with no A/C and no heat.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    not only an outlaw, but brave, and fearless, on the extreme cold or hot, muggy nights....

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It wasn't fun but I wasn't interested in not being at work while the truck was in the shop.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just from a practical standpoint. If that examiner is not comfortable I don't want to add to the problem regardless of the legality. If she has stated clearly her reluctance to test you in that vehicle I would heed that as a warning and either get that AC fixed, or get another vehicle/examiner! I am not sure there is anything left to say.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    ok I looked into this because I thought it was bs, working with MIOSHA before in another business so here it is.

Unless you can point to a standard (regulation) for a state, specific to on-road trucks - there is no regulations to have A/C working in a truck.

OSHA - the federal agency HAS NO such standard. Never did and never will. They only have standards for off road trucks and then they don't have an A/C requirement.

MIOSHA - Michigan's version HAS NO such standard.

NOR does the other 36 states I searched through NEXIS - California, Texas, New York, the cluster of New England states do not have such a standard and they are the most stringent of all the states.

IF you know someone who has been dinged by OSHA for a lack of A/C in a truck, a off road truck or a piece of excavating equipment, there has to be a lot more than just that issue to get cited for that.

As far as the OP's case, he needs to complain to the state so the examiner is told not to do this to others.

He doesn't have to have A/C to operate the truck or test in it, it is completely outside the scope of the examiner to fail the guy on this issue for any reason.

11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    GREETINGS NY2001 and WELCOME TO T.T.R.!!

As To The Pre-Trip, Yes, You'll Need Do It Again As It'll Be A Separate Incident, same as doing it the next, after Rest/Sleeper Break, Startup.
    When I Drove Dedicated O.T.R. and Local (2 separate gigs), I Did More Than One "Pre-Trip" Daily, Like Steady Equipment Checks about every Time I Stopped For Something, Except In Traffic.

You'll Do Well On Yer Next Adventure!!
    CHEERS!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.