does the DOT limit the speed of their own plow trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Super_Trucker

Super_Trucker Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2020
    Central Texas
    Ok will do

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Yeah.. and people wonder why truckers are viewed as victims.... poor dear.. EVERY plow truck in the entire country is out there doing 40 mph on purpose in front of some poor dude who has things to do to save humanity... EVERY ONE!

4. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    This was a dry road, if I came up on a plow going 40, he would get his doors blown off.
    F815FFC2-8CD6-401F-8221-A9D591AEF321.jpeg

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Can't think of any real reason for running 40 on dry road with plow up , not applying material and no strobes on .
    When I worked for Nebraska our trucks maxed out around 65 due to gearing and if my boss had seen me doing that ?s would have been asked.
    That doesent mean we could plow and sand at 65mph tho .

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I take this and lots of other poster's story with a grain of salt. Are there times when some plow or any other vehicle on the road will be driving slower that some other driver wants? Sure there are.. there are a million reasons why some vehicle may be going slow.. one time some driver who wants to go fast has to slow down for one.. and its some universal issue that needs to be complained loudly about... continually.. sheesh..

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Father had 40 years to retire as supervisor of highways @ home grew up listening to his commentary on how the nearby towns, and the state did it all wrong!.

I still see examples every snowstorm that tells me he was right!

Plow rigs are heavy and trucks are geared with enough grunt to plow at 40 mph with the steering wheels turned tight to the right to keep the plow against the guardrail [state truck not contractor ten wheeler doing I-78 in western NJ].....with a spreader in the bed making things top heavy too....calcium tanks make it worse now.

On the other hand, a truck nearing the end of it's life might be crapped out enough that you can't get it over 40 MPH.....

Pumpkin Oval Head, bzinger and 201 Thank this.
  8. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    Years ago the state of Ohio highway dept trucks had a sign on the back of their trucks that said "speed kills" and they drove 45 mph everywhere they went. After a number of severe accidents caused by people passing in unsafe areas, they removed the signs and raised the speed to 55.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you should stop in at any DOT garage and ask them why.

10. UnkownHorse

UnkownHorse Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2019
    MO
    I drive a dump truck for a municipality and sometimes them old trucks can’t go very fast. Especially when loaded down with rock or whatever. They can be either governed way down by the garage, have a weak engine or just plan worn out from years of work and abuse.

mpd240, wis bang and bzinger Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    right, those particular trucks the o/p asks about could have been loaded with either salt or sand.

UnkownHorse Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.