Does trucking really ruin your life at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JJMac0108, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    The trick to trucking is not to have a life at home and to be a good goy in your mobile cuckshed.

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    It's a lifestyle. Living truck stop, to truck stop, to rest area. Camping at shippers with no bathrooms. Odd hours. Long days and nights with no sleep. None of that is ANYTHING like living in a hotel for six months. Not even close. It's the only job with variable hours, odd rules of sleeping mandated by the government not your own body. Scrutinized by DOT for safety any time they feel like it. IT'S A LIFESTYLE.

The only time I've experience hours as odd as trucking was in the military and everybody knows that's a lifestyle.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Trucking is a job just like any other really the ones that say it's a lifestyle well that's theire choice. To work for a crummy company that keeps you away from home for weeks on end. I'm home more than most people that work a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday all they get is 2 days a week off so in a month a total of 8 days.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When you turn the key off. Leave the job in the cab. Easy to say hard to do. Most of my friends are drivers so there you go.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Does trucking ruin your life at home? Depends what you want out of life at home I suppose. As many of you know I'm a young gun running my own show and what the hardest part about "home life" for me is finding a good woman I actually want to build something with. In the past it is always "you're never home" or in my own mind it's just for fun and won't last anyway so I purposely stay on the road or otherwise cause it to end. I do enjoy trucking and don't want to face the ultimatum "it's me or the truck". I don't know how else to make the kind of money I make doing trucking. I grow more cynical as I get older (29 now). Recently I met what I would say is the best woman for me ever....and she doesn't feel the same way about me. She's also an owner operator...very nice peterbilt....but signed on with a company rather than own authority.... building her life the same way I'm building mine. Easy on the eyes and smart too. That rejection hurt. So people say, there's plenty of fish in the sea.... So, women are a commodity..? I'd rather die alone than go through what many other truck drivers before me have gone through with the wrong woman. The man loses big time if they split up. I guess it doesn't help at the time I had met her I had let myself slide all the way to somewhere in the 250 to 260 range I am only 5 foot 6. I myself know I am a disgusting human being physically. Making an honest effort now though... down to 228 and aiming for 160-175 eventually. I want my 18 year old body back lol... I want to score a woman like her... No more hood rats and B.S...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    You can do it!

While you may have trouble getting in physical exercise, you can still change your diet.

Try, to the best of your ability to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, along with LEAN proteins as turkey, fish, and FAT FREE meats and chickens.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from cakes, pastries, ice creams, candies, chocolates, along with staying away from meats with sodium nitrates & nitrites in them, (hot dogs, sausages, bologna, pepperonis, and bacon).

Good luck to you! God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

OTR & LTL - over the mountains - through the woods - coast to coast - sea to shining sea
    [​IMG]
    The OTR & LTL truck drivers of America are positively the driving force of our economy.

Evie3, x1Heavy and gokiddogo Thank this.
  9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have been considering firing up a thread in the health section. Once I reach 220 I probably will. Don't want to go firing off in all directions and derail another one..

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And get back into Resturant food service LTL, you will be throwing 200 pound steel conveyor belts several times a day.

11. Evie3

Evie3 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2017
    I totally support all the good health advice and encouragement. I have 2 other unrelated things to add, that I hope will reassure and encourage some of you. It is not true that being away from your wife is an impossible burden for her to bear. You just have to both be on the same team. My mother in law was one of the first european children born in the first hospital in Papua New Guinea (north of Australia). She was evacuated back to Australia, where the rest of her relatives lived, when the Japanese were invading the island. She met her American serviceman husband while volunteering with the Red Cross in Sydney. After they married, they were separated for nearly 3 years, until the war had ended and the United States sent a ship to bring all of the "war brides" from Australia back to the States. It all worked out and they had 6 children. Their oldest son is my husband.

And about the "looks" thing. I had a difficult time with my father growing up, I think in large part due to the after effects of a TBI that he suffered in the navy during WW2. I took that as my example of what men are like, so I was very, very wary of men in general. I met my husband in college and honestly thought he was very unattractive/one of the biggest dorks I had ever laid eyes on. Other girls were inexplicably attracted to him, and I changed seats with several of them with the hope that he would get lost and stop bothering me. That tactic didn't work, and the girls would shoot me dirty looks, and I would shrug my shoulders. He was relentless, he would not stop trying to get to know me. We finally became friends, but that was it as far as I was concerned. Gradually, over the course of time I found out what kind of person he really was. Then I realized that I loved him as a friend. Finally one day, I woke up and realized that I had fallen in love with him.

When we got engaged and my mother and sister visited me in college, their mouths dropped open and they basically said, "What are you, psychotic? You didn't think he was good looking??" He actually looked an awful lot like the actor John Davidson back in the 1980s. I just couldn't see it at the time. I think God hid that part from me.

For his part, my husband says that when I walked into class for the first time, he felt like God spoke to him and told him "this is the girl you are going to marry." It's not that I was such an incredible beauty queen, he said it was more like there was something about me that spoke to him. So it was a done deal for him from that point on.

Things work out the way they do for a reason. Don't sell yourself short, and don't compromise what you believe in. The right girl is out there.

x1Heavy and gokiddogo Thank this.
  12. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I understand you perfectly.

They say love is blind. Now... society chooses to chase the cutest horse or so they say because trophy etc.

When you love someone you love them, the good and the bad. Ive always considered that is something that is inside all of us waiting to be gifted to the significant other etc. But it is not something you can order up on demand.

I come through my town one day with a load to CA and met my spouse, I never left. But considering the overall situation of work and not even looking it worked out well more or less for both of us. It would have been so easy to a completely and possibly darker future if I did not stop there for a meal that evening.

13. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    @mje-To lose weight you need to consume a lot of fat along with the protein. Fruit is off limits in the first two weeks of the Atkins Diet.

• Truckers Report Jobs