Does trucking really ruin your life at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JJMac0108, Mar 13, 2015.

1. demi

demi Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    then that is the deal you are making with yourself, you know? Embrace and accept the good and bad. When you are around town, they can take you as you are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JJMac0108

JJMac0108 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    St Catharines, Ontario
    That's about where my head is at after this thread and a chat with a friend who drove OTR for a while.

4. demi

demi Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    yeah...the romance with the road may last a lifetime or may not...be careful and enjoy the trip.

5. JJMac0108

JJMac0108 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    St Catharines, Ontario
    Being that I have always loved driving since I got my car license, I don't see that changing. Even now, I get bored and go for a drive in the pick up truck when I'm off. I was born to drive, the rest I will just have to wait to fall into place.

6. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    Maybe what is happening is that you are finding out how important YOU were to family and friends! Have any taken the time to ask you what you did or what you saw on your trips?
    It happens in all professions. My granddaughter went to Iraq and when she came back she couldn't hang out with her old friends because she grew up and that didn't!!
    Such is the circle of life!!
    Truck on!! Dirty side stays down!!

Ruthless Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Doesn't matter if you're home or not, life goes on and changes would have happened anyway. Many people you think of as friends are in reality just aquaintances and always have been. In a few years most won't even remember your name and you won't remember theirs without some prodding.

Dan.S, Long FLD and UKJ Thank this.
  8. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I can't say that trucking lead directly to my current relationship with my wife, I believe 100% that me joining the Military at the young age of 35, going to BCT/AIT for 3.5 mo's and than coming home for 5 days just to go train with the boys for 6 months in MS,,,than go to Iraq for over a year, with a two week leave in between, is what caused my marriage to be crap now but, that being said,,,,me being on the road all the time is not helping matters at all. Being on the road all the time, you will grow away from family and friends,,,it is just the way it is. I am working my butt off to be able to be home on the weekends at some point. Like others have said, if your family and friends are important to you,,than find a way to get home more. Work towards that goal, and than rekindle your friendships and family relations.

9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    raised 2 normal kids

out lived one wife and remarried another great one in 2000

all while driving regional, home on weekends

friends have come and gone

oh well

life is what you make it

I like mine. it's been rough at times , but it ain't been boring

FireLotus, RookieJ1987 and SheepDog Thank this.
  10. dan427

dan427 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2015
    I'm not even driving yet and it's effecting me. I meet girls and as soon as I tell them I'll be a truck driver, they move on and quit talking. I guess we gotta bite the bullet for a year or two then find something local.

11. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Oh I know. Im being silly.

Honestly... I'd rather have a wife and kids to come home to. Or just a wife. ...frankly, and I'm not going to be shy as I say this, "road dates" with the misses can get a little steamy if you and she want it to be that way.

I may be delusional and some of you otr guys may know better than I, but that's my take. ...so far I've "only" a fianceé and we live apart as it is anyways. So from the start we've been used to the distance and not seeing each other every night/day. It's hard to be apart most days, but we get by and are happy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.