Does trucking really ruin your life at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JJMac0108, Mar 13, 2015.

1. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    If you have a wife or girlfriend while you on the road, make sure you talk to her daily and when you come home make love to her as often as you can like it the last day on earth, shower her with love, presents just to keep it spontanoues. Trust me on this or she will find another one

tommymonza Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    I was happily married while OTR. I came off the road for a year and got divorced.

I think I'm doing it wrong.

4. JJMac0108

JJMac0108 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    St Catharines, Ontario
    Sorry but that is somewhat hilarious. Seems to be the total opposite of everyone else's theory....

FatDaddy Thanks this.
  5. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    I do that now. ...speaking of which, it's past-time for another care-box.

It takes a VERY special kind of woman to stick with someone that's over the road. If she stays with you and works with you...do everything you can to hang onto her.

Mine is in Alberta (Canada, the province above Montana if your geography is rusty.) and we miss each other to pieces. But it's worked for 5 years now and we've kept things alive, well and burning.

And don't worry JJ, FatDaddy is like that. I still laugh, and I don't apologize. :biggrin_25522:

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    People change. I graduated high school in 1996. I see one girl from my class if I eat where she works. I see one friend and his wife regularly. I haven't seen my "best friend" from school in years. Everyone moves on, gets married, has kids. You need to do what makes you happy. Ride it out and run otr. If it's what you want to do the people who stay in your life would be there no matter what you're doing. The ones that you lose touch with you would've lost touch with for other reasons more than likely. I think after time on the road you'll meet people that you'll become friends with because of a shared love of trucking.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  7. lmcclure1220

lmcclure1220 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Walnut, Ms
    Been there .... done that ... and about all I had left was the tee-shirt! LOL

SheepDog Thanks this.
  8. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    You know... Usually I say stuff like that to friends who had someone break up with them. ...but that's applicable here too.

The people who are meant to stay in your life, will. The ones who don't, it doesn't mean they don't care about you, but it just means it wasn't supposed to be that way.

Even if you're not otr, you may have grown apart later anyways.

Do what you love, do what you enjoy. If you can manage that, the people who are supposed to be in your life will just "magically" start to trickle in. Life's a funny mess that way.

9. JJMac0108

JJMac0108 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    St Catharines, Ontario
    Ah this forum is great. I clearly need to spend some more time on here.

SheepDog and Vilhiem Thank this.
  10. Vilhiem

Oct 6, 2014
    We can rub you the wrong way sometimes, but we're all cooped up inside a cube-like structure that moves for many hours a day. There's good people here and better information. I suppose the way to think about it is...if you can tolerate us, then you can definitely do this job when it comes to the social aspects.

Unless you're talking about that Vilhiem guy... He's weird. ...you probably shouldn't listen to what he says as well. :biggrin_25522:

11. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    If U Do it For a Pay check reasons IT DOES If you do it 4 Fun it helps you live longer by not taking crap from the corporate butt cracks & end up going Koo Koo at an early age :biggrin_25524:

12. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    It actually is hillarious. Strange enough after my divorce I went back OTR and the ex and I get along better now than when we were married.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.