Doing my due diligence

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by eightballwoody, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It really depends on what your plan is. If you’re jumping in with your own authority and all that then yes you need a large cash reserve. You will need to pay all your expenses for a month or two before money starts coming in.

If your plan is to lease to carrier that offers a fuel card and everything then really you’ll only have two weeks of running until cash flow starts. So obviously you wouldn’t need to be sitting on a large pile of cash for that.

frito bandito Thanks this.
  4. Bumblebee101

Bumblebee101 Light Load Member

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Probably pay .75 a mile empty. I worked there for 7 days. Was .50 loaded .40 empty. Empty miles were about 2/3 of your mileage pay. $90 a load in extra pay. Old old trucks in MA. They say 1300-1700 a week. Most peaked at the bottom of that scale.

5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I honestly think you’d be better finding a different driving job than buying a truck to pull cans in Houston. Cryo drivers typically make good money, have good benefits, drive good equipment and are home a lot. Air Liquide, Airgas, Etc.

6. eightballwoody

eightballwoody Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Well. Let's get some particulars then.
    What is the average gross per week doing local in Houston.
    What is the average fuel cost per week when leased on to a company local in Houston.

I probably should have asked specific questions rather than general questions.

I know somebody who says the money was pretty good pulling ISO tanks so the opinions are all across the board. If you have a personal testimony, I am all ears.

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    $0.65 empty. I got more than that hauling containers in Chicago. $1.25 loaded plus fsc, $0.90 empty plus fsc and $0.70 plus fsc for dispatched bobtail, not the first or last of the day.

8. eightballwoody

Jul 19, 2019
    I am home everyday and off on weekends. I am not trading that. So anything I do must include that. Running local has to be part of the equation.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I did Food Service for a few years so I can sympathize. At least where I worked at they had an injured list like a football team.

I don't know anything about your area but containers generally are the lowest paying Freight. In general terms flatbed is much better.

Home every night could be possible, but maybe you should think of staying out one or two nights a week, it might make it easier to make money.

But the real question is your lifestyle. Do you have a wife that likes fur coats and diamond rings and jaguars? Do you have a super giant colossal house with a supergiant colossal mortgage and 10 kids you're going to put through college? Do you have 20 maxed out credit cards and brand new cars and motorcycles that you're paying on?

If you bought a $50,000 truck and in the first year somehow you ended up putting 20,000 into it could you survive that? Could you survive if that happens sooner rather than later assuming you have a truck payment?

Just some things to think about.

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have noooo idea what the average pay or fuel costs in that area is, so no help with that.
    What I do no and it covers all areas is being an OO is not, has never been, and will never be a 9 to 5 job.
    You said enough with just those two restrictions, if they are absolute, then a different driving job is likely your best bet.

Long FLD and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. eightballwoody

Jul 19, 2019
    Lol. I’m not 9-5 now. More like 2am to afternoon. But I’m exploring. The best time to look is when you already have a job I figure.

What about jetco? Anyone have any experience with them and leasing on pulling flatbeds?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.