Doing your own bookkeeping?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Feb 27, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Do you file your own taxes or pay someone? If you do pay someone, what kind of document do you provide them with?

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I pay. Well lol.

I give him that spreadsheet.

I have all supporting documents down to the penny.

I highly recommend using a CPA or some form of accountant. A certified financial planner will do as well. Most of those are enrolled agents, that means they can talk to the IRS on someone's behalf.

And don't cheat. It's not worth it.

After your gross profit you'll have huge deductions for

Per diem - $66.00 day, everyday you're away from home, provable by your log. No receipts needed, that's the government's allowance.

Standard deduction- Single $12,000 Married $24,000

Small business tax credit courtesy of President Trump- 20% off the top of your gross profit.

RStewart, Dino soar and PE_T Thank this.
  4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I use Profit Gauges... When I used atbs. They always said I owed money... Lots of money lol
    Then I use TurboTax and input everything in takes 15 mins

mwhjr1988 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Does Turbo Tax have a version for truckers?

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Here are two samples from Excel workbook
    Notice where each sheet represents a separate cost category .

20200307_085242.jpg 20200307_085328.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    PE_T Thanks this.
  7. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    I highly recommend Truckin Pro. It's been mentioned here before but it literally does everything and will give you any report you could want. It's a one time fee, with no hidden cost, and free updates.

*edit*
    Just wanted to point out that this system can be used completely offline, so all of your data is safe and secure. Speaking of dat, You can also back up all of your data with a click of a button to a single file. If you do this, you will always have a copy of your data should something happen to your computer or files.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Reason for edit: Update info
    PE_T Thanks this.
  8. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    C49DD293-8866-4F5F-A0BD-07411E71859D.jpeg What I’ve done for years is this: put all my expense receipts (not fuel) into a big freezer bag as I go throughout the year. I keep a smaller bag in the truck and when I get home I move them to the big bag.

This first week of January I take off. It takes me about 1-2 days, I take the receipts on my bed and separate them into categories. I then add up each category with a calculator printing machine. I write the total onto a Manila folder and stick the printed total and receipts into the folder. I do this for each category. I then proceed to make sure I got my fuel total summary from fuel card printed and in a file folder, toll summary, insurance summary, amazon purchases, tag cost recorded etc (the things that aren’t in my receipt bag) (per diem)

Once I have the category totals I write them down on a separate paper. I then go onto the computer and write a one or two paper expense report with the totals I’ve counted up already. I take my folders and file them in a file cabinet .

I then go to my QuickBooks and run a yearly summary of invoices I’ve collected. I write them down, then type up a income report. Customers name, address, phone number, and how much I collected from them.

these two reports is what I bring in to my local cpa who’s knows trucking, and that’s it. She has all my income, and all my expenses neatly typed up in categories, and I make her copies to keep.

Attached Files:

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Very good information everyone! Thanks a bunch!

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I manage
    Looks very neat.
    I am sure I could entrust you in doing my own bookkeeping too.
    How much for Quickbooks subscription?

HopeOverMope and PE_T Thank this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I see you’re using the Excel shortcuts of automatically adding selected boxes. It’s saves a lot of time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.