Dollar General or Family Dollar?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sock wearer, Sep 14, 2019.

1. sock wearer

sock wearer Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Hi, I am new out of truck driving school. I have my CDL class A. I am in training with a major carrier. Once I finish training, I will work a dedicated Family Dollar or Dollar General. I cannot find much information about the Family Dollar dedicated account. Has anyone worked a Family Dollar dedicated account? What’s good about it? What’s bad about it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I deliver to both of them and they are pretty much the same place with a different sign from my point of view. Dollar general seems to have more newer stores that are a lil easier to get in and out of.

sock wearer and Puppage Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    No! Don't do that. There have been multiple threads on here about the horrors of those accounts for new drivers. The tight parking lots with cars parked goofy invite accidents. Then these new drivers get fired and have a hard time getting a job with any decent companies. The reason they recruit new drivers for this is that they have a hard time finding an experienced driver to take it. Do a search here on TTR for "Dollar General" and read the posts there.

5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I've looked at those tight little parking lots and many of the docks you have to blind side back into them. Good luck if you try that.

6. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Drive your car to one and see if you would want to back a 53' trailer into it.

7. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    What docks? I’ve NEVER seen a Dollar General OR Family Dollar with a dock!

8. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I would seriously reconsider doing any Dollar General, Family Dollar, or Dollar Tree account. As a new driver you WILL be hitting things with this account and when you get fired you will have that on your record and have a very difficulty time finding a good job after. I would not even consider doing that as an experienced driver. There are plenty of jobs out there besides Dollar store accounts. Best wishes in whatever you decide!

9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I have seen a few but yes they are rare for sure.

G13Tomcat, MACK E-6 and Dumdriver Thank this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
  11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    These guys have a point. Those parking lots can be pretty tight and I'm in a day cab with a 45' trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.