Don’t let them replace your holset turbo.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Leeroy_brown, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Leeroy_brown

Leeroy_brown Bobtail Member

May 13, 2017
    I hear a lot about shops Willy nilly replacing turbos, and whatever problems you were having, still exist after spending thousand$ of dollars. The newer holset turbos for the Cummins x15 are $8k new and still 4-6k remans. absolutely ridiculous.
    the thing is, these holset turbos can be cleaned out and they will work perfectly. the big problem with these are that the nozzle starts getting hung up, and kills the electronic actuator. It’s most likely hung up on carbon. If your actuator dies, the first thing the mechanic is going to do is check the lever for drag, and it hanging up. If it does, the next thing out of his mouth will be, $10k for a new turbo.
    Horse$&@!
    Tear apart the entire turbo, clean the carbon out of it. Focus on the inside part of the nozzle, the part that moves in and out.
    It rides in and out on a cylinder that has what is basically a piston ring. Packed full of carbon. Just clean it out real good, take a scotch bright wheel to the inside of the nozzle, where it rides on the “piston ring”
    Inspect everything else for damage, lube up that mechanism and slap it back together and replace that actuator. If all the seals and bearings are good, there is no need to replace something that just needs the carbon cleaned out.
    it’s actually a very simple design, and once you see it with your own eyes, you’ll realize it’s just dirty. Don’t be afraid to tear it apart, it’s really not as complicated as everyone thinks,It’s stupid easy. If you just replace the actuator, you will have wasted your money on the actuator, and then mr mechanic will rape you for another, and a turbo. The nozzle must move freely, or it will kill the actuator. Brand new, the actuator itself is $2k
    Do yourself a favor and just clean the turbo out before running it with a new actuator.
    You do have to have access to insite to be able to calibrate the actuator, and once it’s removed from the turbo, it must be recalibrated. A turbo that is hanging up will give you a long list of codes, exhaust pressure, intake pressure, Scr derate. All kinds of codes. Removing the turbo can be kind of a pain, but a little pain is worth way more than $8k plus labor. Especially when it’s not necessary.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Don't blame the mechanic, I bet in 99% of the cases at a dealership the call to replace it is coming from above their head. There's a lot of stuff that can be repaired but then the shop takes liability for it if it starts acting up again a week later.

4. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    There is only one shop that I know of that does this. Righetti Cummins in Stockton, Ca.

5. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Lots of shops make good money on selling parts. They have more incentive to replace it than repair it.

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Isn’t Cummins still on strike ? At least they where in Bloomington Ca.

7. Leeroy_brown

Leeroy_brown Bobtail Member

May 13, 2017
    Screw all that nonsense!
    If you’re a mechanic, and you let the people above you rape the customer, you’re complicit, and not a mechanic at all. just a b&!&h, just as greedy, but more of a bi$&h. Collect your paycheck and go home b$&!h.
    have you no pride at all.
    This thread was mostly for owner’s, because that’s what I am. And I’m tired of hearing about people getting bent over the service counter for a $8k turbo that just needs cleaned out.
    “Don’t blame the mechanic” that’s the first person I’m blaming!
    Stand up for yourself, and do what’s right!
    Don’t be a lazy cu>t, don’t be a part changer, be a mechanic.
    Why does it take a truck driver to tell you how to do your job?
    I’ve literally had two different “mechanics” tell me that they can’t break a bolt loose.
    Bit@h, break it off then. Wtf
    Not all are bad, some are really really good! But this turbo thing is out of control. two random owner ops in the last few months, telling me about their turbo’s, and how much they paid.
    then, my turbo starts to take a dump.
    Codes codes codes.
    Replace actuator (not working) with Chinese actuator. $750
    Replace exhaust gas pressure sensor (was actually bad)
    Delta sensor and map sensor for good measure.
    Ram good for a week, Still problems. So I decided to check the turbo while it’s hot. This is important, because it seemed fine the first time I checked it and replaced the actuator. But it was cold the first I checked it. Hot, it was definitely hanging up on something.
    Curious I just ripped it apart, nothing is wrong except it was packed full of carbon. If I’m paying $8k for a part, you’re #### skippy I gonna find out why it failed in the first place. Didn’t fail, still good as new in my opinion. So why is it hanging up. Carbon/soot, Doesn’t take a genius to figure it out, it was plain as day.
    Idk, maybe everyone is just dumb, lazy suckers.
    Pay up, or figure it out!!

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sounds good boss

9. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    Righetti's isn't even close to being union...:book:

10. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I think I will just stick to my old school b cats…

11. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Mechanicals are great. Hopefully they don't get made useless via speed limiter laws or emissions restrictions. I have a strong feeling it's going that way though.

Diesel Dave and W923 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.