Donating truck to help firefighters

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by InTooDeep, Aug 8, 2018.

1. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    So the manufacturer I haul for decided to help the firefighters out that are battling the Carr fire in NCal. So he donated 10 pallets of bottled water, I then donated my truck and time and drove the load up to them near Redding. Those guys and gals are working their ##### off. I delivered the water to them then hung out with them for a couple days talked to a lot of people there and even got to ride out with a supervisor to one of the fire lines quite the experience. Learned some things did some things. Interesting trip though the damage to houses businesses and peoples lives is horrible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    It was what you do when things go south like this. I have had great luck in this field and believe when things go good for you well you pay it back. We are going to do another round for these people next week since the fire isn't going out anytime soon.

5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Those fire fighters who battle those forest fires got balls the size of Saturn.

In my time in Arizona there was a fire up on Mt. Lemmon. Bad enough they brought in fire fighters from all over the country. Takes a special kind of courage to do what they do. Not to take anything away from the traditional fire fighters, but those wildfire boys..they take it to a whole new level. Don't get me started on the guys who JUMP into fires. Good gods man. I'd like to say I have that kind of courage/faith but clearly I don't or I'd be doing that for a living. ;) Much respect to them, an to yourself for lending a hand. Always good to see/hear about such things. Far to much negativity in the world already.

Far as the aftermath of fires an such....Living in a hurricane prone area, I mean it's a sandbar after all I've seen the aftermath of mother nature. Fire aftermath is far worse to me then hurricanes though. Usually one can rebuild, or find their belongings, loved ones, etc. Fire...it doesn't discriminate. You will die if you don't get out in time. No ifs ands or buts about it. Tornado? You can run if you have the proper heads up an a plan. Same with a hurricane.

Fire. Not only a blessing but can be a helluva curse.

Thoughts to those affected by the fires, an a big be safe, an thank you to the folks fighting it, and others.

Talk about unsung heroes, one never really hears about what those guys do, same with the traditional fire fighters.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Woosh! - A backdraft

6. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    That's great that you were able to do that. I wouldn't hesitate to run supplies out there if the opportunity presented itself.

homeskillet and InTooDeep Thank this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I wish I could do that. I have my own truck but that is it. I need to figure out how to do donation only freight part time. As a hobby. But I could not afford all the truck expenses. Should I look for a sponsor? Very confused as I would be doing it for non profit. Should I start my own charity? There is lots of water where I live. And also much grass land that can be used for hay.

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  8. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Yeah I am in a fortunate situation that I can afford to do these things. If nothing else small donations to firefighter or anything else. Long as everyone does a little this little blue marble would be a better place

9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

I would contact whoever you wish to help. FEMA for natural disasters, or local governments I'd imagine.

Places like the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, and others that aren't coming to mind right now. I know Habitat will take any help it can get. Part time, full time, etc.

Food an such...Food banks. Farms would love the hay I would think, ones that rehab animals an such. Could be used for bedding an other things I'd imagine. Same with vets in the country I'd imagine, or even zoo's. Heh. 4h clubs might love the hay also.

Those hurricanes last year...what was it..Texas and Florida? An all those trucks helping folks get rescued or bring in supplies, etc. Again that would be a FEMA thing or local I'd imagine. Red Cross an all those places always need a hand in a natural disaster.

To those thinking like @Oldironfan to donate their time, or wondering how they can..

Remember you can always do little things like donate blood anytime, or plasma(Yes there is a difference.). They always need blood from my understanding. It's a small thing but something most people can do an it doesn't eat up your time or take away from other things. There is also places like Habitat for Humanity that always needs folks to help build houses or transport construction goods an the like. Having a skill set that compliments construction would be something they would love to have donated to them.

I shall salute you with a cold beverage later, more then likely several of them. You could also wait an an help out the Make a Wish folks come mother's day. They do a truck event. Link : 18 States for 18 Wheelers: A countdown | Our Blog | News & Events | Make-A-Wish® Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley

I now see that is dated 2017 but you can still check into it. Not every kid wants to meet Mickey Mouse or John Cena..some just want to do something they may never get to, like riding in a big truck, or on a motorcycle, etc.

Much respect to the OP an others who find the time to help out others with no expectation of repayment. Sometimes giving your time can do more then a bunch of money.

Sirscrapntruckalot - The future is fluid. Each act, each decision, and each development creates new possibilities and eliminates others. The future is ours to direct. - Jacque Fresco

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The Mendocino complex Fire is now larger in land mass than Los Angeles. Over 300,000 acres, and growing. This fire is expected to burn into September.

The Carr fire is smaller but it is just as devastating.
    They have a bit more control over this one. Will burn for some time still.

These fires are in some very difficult spots.

Crews from Australia and New Zeland are working at both fires.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I wish my company would do some of this stuff. I'd love to be able to help move stuff in disaster situations to bring relief to many.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.