Don't bother unless Deadcatied account

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by jayrow, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Capt. T-Rucker

Capt. T-Rucker Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    I hear what's being said from everyone about this and other carriers. I'm just looking for some guidance other than what I've found here and on other sites. I guess what I'm wanting is to know if there is any one company that stands above the rest as far as how there drivers are treated. As far as I've found Werner, Swift and US Express are the only carriers in FL willing to hire right out of training. If there are others in FL that anyone could recommend I look into I would greatly [FONT=&quot]appreciate[/FONT] it. I'm not asking to be recruited or for anyone to advertise for another company just for some friendly advise. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DBL_TIME

DBL_TIME <strong>"Two Mints in One"</strong>

Feb 9, 2008

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. Jughead

Jughead Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Try Willis Shaw Express. Their parent company is Comcar (Commercial Carrier), which has a terminal in Auburndale, close to the Orlando area (east of I4). I went to Roadmaster in Tampa, FL (I am in Lakeland), and they hired me about 2 weeks after I graduated. I got laid off not long ago, and I am looking into possibly going back driving with them.

Stevens Transport is another good outfit for people that are just starting up. The only thing people don't seem to like is their LOOOONNNGGGG training program (8 weeks; 5 with a trainer, and 3 weeks with another rookie as a team). And the crappy pay that comes with the 'trainiing' salary.

My advice? Whichever way you go, give them a year of service, and you can go work for the premium companies (UPS, FedEx, etc).

Hope this helps.

5. Capt. T-Rucker

Capt. T-Rucker Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    This is the type of info I was refering to when I stated I was "looking for something more". There is quit a bit of info floating around out there that has just not been spoken about. The only way to retreive it is to ask and research. Thanks for understanding what it was I was trying to ask for!!!

6. Jughead

Jughead Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lakeland, FL

No problem. Glad I could help.

I almost forgot to tell you about another one. LCT aka Lester Coggins Trucking. Their recruiters and personnel over the phone were quite courteous and professional. They are based out of Okahumpa (I think that's how it's spelled) and mostly run refrigerated merchandise. I heard mostly it's orange juice and concentrates. They have a fleet of Kenworth T200s, Freightliner Centuries, and I think some Peterbilts too. Most are condo units (2 beds). Google lct jobs! Good luck!

I know that I myself am either going back to Willis Shaw Express, or I am going to either Stevens or LCT. Usually small and medium companies are more professional when it comes to their treatment.

Other options? If you live in north Florida (Gainesville, Jacksonville, Pensacola, etc), you could try either Marten or KLLM. The latter, I hear good things about, both here and from people out there. I live in central FL, but if none of the handpicked companies get back to me, I am giving both of these a call and if I have to relocate to North FL to work for them, I will.

If I think of something else, I'll let you know. Hope I helped some more.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.