Don't Buy International!

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by HulseyEnvironmental, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    First oil change on a new engine is always recommended to be half of the regular interval. In the Allison manual for severe duty on 3000 series the service interval is 500 hrs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    It is not recommended, it is just a wives tale for overly compulsive people.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Even the best dealer on the planet can't make up for crappy engineering and design by the manufacturer . International deserves all the rants spewed at them!

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I got into a discussion with my cousin, who has been in the business since the 70s, and he was defending International and saying they were going to win in the courts, when, in fact they had already lost.

Any company relying on courts and lawyers to support them through the mess of regulation is doomed to be hurt badly.

I don't want them to go out of business entirely over some bad judgement, but it appears to me this could happen.

6. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    In the country I'm from American and European trucks fight for market share in class 8.
    International do okay but are behind Freightliner.
    Class 6 and 7 are dominated by Hino and UD (Nissan) purely down to reliability.
    They are simple and do the job , but boy are parts expensive.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I just saw the latest market share numbers today from http://www.todaystrucking.com/trucksales.cfm. They still sell more than Pete, Volvo and Mack. Class 7's are bit better. Freightliner is on top right now.
    One of our fellow mechanics hung up the wrenches and went truckin. Bought a brand new Cascadia with a DD13. I was super impressed! If you work on a Maxxforce 13 long enough, and then look over a DD13 real good know what I am talking about. There were other things too, simple, but it just makes the truck better for everyone. I did his alignment. The maxi's are pointed down enough so you can get on that inside spring bushing bolt with a gun. On an International the stupid maxi's are always in the way. His steering wheel was off center, no puller required to remove it. The splines are straight now, not tapered. That's cool! That is what I would be buying now if I was a driving.

8. HulseyEnvironmental

HulseyEnvironmental Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Way back in 2004 I bought a Toyota. It was a fun little car. Unfortunately after about 20k miles a sync in the transmission went bad and the transmission had to be replaced by warranty. I was given a temp vehicle to drive for the week that it took to get the parts and replace the defective Transmission. I felt that Toyota had taken good care of me, and I will buy Toyota again should I have the need.
    Here is some statistical information regarding our Workstar 2011 purchased from International.
    [FONT=&quot]HES has had the International Truck for 367 days.

# of days truck ran = 210
    Total # of days truck did not run = 139
    Total # of days truck was at Rush truck center (still currently there) = 62
    Total # of days truck was at truck parts depot = 39
    Total # of days truck was at our office not running = 38[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Never have we been offered a ‘loaner’ to help cover the burden. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With the statistical information above, which we can prove with documentation should we need to, I ask the following two questions:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1) At what point does International Trucking feel that it’s appropriate to offer a ‘loaner’ during the repair process to help their customer to meet our commitments to our customers?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2) At what point does International Trucking label a vehicle as a ‘lemon’ and replace it, Over 200 days and downtime of 40 percent perhaps? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Is there any number of days this truck has to be out of commission or any percentage of time that it needs to be in the service center in order for a customer of International Trucks to receive some sort of consideration? We understand that International Trucks is running a business and doesn’t just hand out new trucks, but you have got to admit the downtime of this vehicle is on a level that approaches the absurd. How can we conduct business with a Piece of equipment this unreliable?

[/FONT] International Trucks Query.jpg [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

9. HulseyEnvironmental

HulseyEnvironmental Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I suppose that we will have to consider options such as these for our next purchase. I foresee in the next 10 years we could buy dozens of Trucks. But unless International does something to 'make this deal whole' I have no idea how we can ever purchase from them again.

10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Who in their right mind would buy one till the scr engines are in (mid spring 2013)? They are making trucks daily no one wants at any price? Heard VW was looking to buy them out! ?

11. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I think VW are major shareholders in MAN and Scania trucks.
    Man have not been up to scratch in the last few years but Scania are top so I dont think it will be a bad thing.
    VW even build their own trucks in Brazil.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.