Don't Kill Yourself Repairing Company Equipment.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by LetsGoBrandon$, May 26, 2023.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Somehow I get the feeling you forgot to say “don’t ask me how I know”. :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Bad part was the tire jumped about 6 feet off the floor and the air hose didn't stay attached. Had to start all over.

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    This is why we can't have nice things anymore..lol
    The junk starting fluid now is only 75%..your lucky if you just get it to light & bead.. it would take a full can to make it jump now
    I remember when it use to be 90 %
    I watched a guy launch, a head off a 8V92 with the good stuff back in the day

5. The_vett

The_vett Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    OK , So that is close to solid but not. ( you have to be able to move in a military situation) I have what they call "run flats" as well , but they just have reinforced sides. I can drive with them safely for up to 100 miles depending on the road. My vehicle is a helium balloon practicaly in comparison to those beautiful giant and heavy vehicles that all of you drive.(or humvees) I agree they need to concentrate on making better tires. Especially if they plan on keeping the status quo of the roads. My guess says they won't. There is no money in it for them. It would only help We the people, their interests lie elsewhere.

6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    First off, I’m mightily impressed you managed to seat it, fix it, and air it up. I know very few owner operators who would even go into those lengths. Good job.

I think eventually we will switch to foam filled tires. These already exist in the dirt bike world. It’s a foam insert and you can get different densities to simulate certain air pressure. Makes the tire completely immune to flats. The only downside is the foam only lasts a little while, maybe 100 hours before it breaks down. However, I believe we will figure it out soon.

Bean Jr. and The_vett Thank this.
  7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    We all hate certain aspects of ourselves, and God is no different in that respect.

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    When they have been run flat you can hear faint piping almost like plucking a dead banjo string when airing up. If you hear it just quit it’s no good lol

Oxbow and Last Call Thank this.
  9. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Obviously you’ve never pulled trailers with leaf springs and then pulled a trailer with air bag suspension .

a shipping container chassis with leaf springs will beat you to death in the cab even if you have air bags on the tractor drive axles

Bean Jr. and lester Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    They have the vanes like your picture, but not as “deep”. Never a flat, however.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    pretty sure filled tires aren’t allowed on public road, we used to run them in the landfill, but that was also a Mack so it already rode like ####

i pulled a screening plant ~120 miles last fall that was solid mount axle, I had to reorganize everything but luckily it didn’t shake the truck apart

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.