Don't like chains?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Stump, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

*ding* *ding* *ding*....round 2

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I run barefoot as long as possible and will use workarounds also. I have also learned about a few areas like cabbage in Oregon. If you park and eat lunch/dinner by the time your done they wont have the chain law up anymore LOL. They frequently use chained up trucks (poor suckers) to break up the snowpack . It will be "chunky" but driveable without chains.

4. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    I'm only a few months with my CDL but last week I chained up in Colorado. I may or may not ever do it again but I wasn't going to sit there because I was scared to chain up. Just like everything else I have learnt since I got my "license to learn"- lots of common sense, patience and watch the old hands and I will learn something. I white knuckled it thru and gained some confidence if I ever have to do it again.
    I did have an advantage because as a kid we often chained up the pickup to get out to the highway.

5. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA

If there a new driver from the Mountain West, they have been driving in snow with chains from the day they got a Class C. So driving with chains on a big truck is just part of life in the Mountain West. They will know what to do after a few trips. Most of the people that grew up out West know how to chain and are use to driving slow with chains on. You hardly ever have chains on more then 100 miles. So take your time. I was not going to sit in Reno NV for 2-3 days, 200 miles from home because of 70-80 miles of driving with chains.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA

Thats why i chained up and headed home, I knew i only had a few hours before it shut down. I could be sitting in Reno NV for 2 days, But now i can load tommorow and head out Saterday morning.

7. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Heres something I learned from an "old timer" I carry 2 short pieces of 4 x 4 that are angle cut on the end. Most of the time you can pull your truck up on them (inside of duals) and chain away. I also found a small, fold up plastic snow shovel and have a piece of tarp to place my knees (and myself) on. I also carry some insulated (neoprene type material) waterproof gloves because thats the first place you freeze up and its hard to make things work then.

Stump, RAGE 18 and striker Thank this.
  8. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    I like someone that tells the truth. If you feel unsafe, stay put. Someday you might feel comfortable enough to chain, mabey not.

9. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  10. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    I seen the block angle trick pretty cool. I use to carry a shovel but it was too cumbersome in my truck. Now I just carry 2 pair of gloves in case one gets wet one stays on dash with heater on so u can switch if ur hands get too cold, a rain jacket with hoody and good kneepads so u can kneel and manuever believe it or not the kneepads save u a ton of time and ur knees dont get tore up. But when the road shuts down ur done boys n girls turn the heater on bring out the webasto stove n hook up the dvd player is gonna be a long wait. We are having Menudito tonight.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.