Don't you love it when they tell you parking available

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by class441, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am not sure, but wouldn't this be considered illegal?

1. Endangering the life of a person in a towed vehicle. In Illinois it is not allowed.
    2. The act of moving the driver without his consent, Is this kidnapping?

Just food for thought.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I would just move. Not worth the hassle for me to argue for a couple hours and end up doing what they told me to do anyway. Sure, I could probably find a legal angle to prevent them from getting me off the property for a few hours, but eventually, they will have legal grounds to have me removed from the property.

And in the end, I didn't get any rest because I was up fighting with the customer, and possibly losing my company a business account, or possibly future business with a good broker.

I try to pick my battles wisely, and this is not a battle I would consider a wise one.

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Personally I agree with you on the issue. I was just addressing some of the other comments.

If I had spent all that time at the shipper, I would gladly leave. Some of the shippers I have been to even refused to allow the driver into the building to use the restroom.

5. Libertarian500

Libertarian500 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    You're spot on with this answer. In the end, you are on private property and the owner of that property has the right to evict you from it for whatever reason they wish. This means they can call the police and have you physically removed if need be.

So yes, they can arrest you for trespassing and tow your rig.

At any rate, why go through all the trouble of arguing and fighting with these people? Just don't go there again.

6. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i've had my time run out at a shipper/con SEVERAL times luckily all of them either had enough room and let me stay there or there was parking within a mile of the place. which our logging dept. will let us drive within a mile or so and not log it.

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    You're partly right here ;) Check your local/state regs.

They can tow your truck...just not with you in it. It depends on which state you are in. Heads up...California CAN tow you ;)

Another thing, many of the larger companies are now keeping up with shippers/receivers who do not load/unload in a timely many. They are beginning to charge higher rates and demanding higher detention pay.

Grocery warehouses....still suk:biggrin_25510:

8. Libertarian500

Libertarian500 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Utah, for now
    Mostly true. However, they are still having to compete with one-another. Many times, these companies are just letting the drivers get screwed on the dock, since this costs the company nothing and if the driver isn't complaining, what does the company care?

This is where you come in. More than once I've demanded detention pay while sitting on a dock and received it. Whether the company was getting it out of the shipper or not is not my concern. That's their job. Threaten to drive away and leave the trailer where it sits if they give you any b.s.

Obviously common sense plays here. If you've only been sitting a couple of hours, you aren't in a position to say anything. Six or seven hours, though...

For those who don't know, I have red hair. Don't ever peeve a red-headed person. :)

9. Lucky142

Lucky142 <strong>"Give A Hoot"</strong>

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    Common sense and capabilities don't figure when it comes to hours of service. Yet, it is the law.

There are times when the freight is due and you have the hours to deliver, but you have no time to do anything else.

I have refused delivery because of the location and no place to park and ended up fighting dispatch for three days of name calling. A driver does not win unless he gets tough and reports this violation.

I think the only recourse a driver has it to get it on tape and call the Feds. Your name will be mud anyway, so whats the difference. It's the dispatchers job or your future if you have an accident while out of hours, (or at least a potential fine!)

Shame, so many problems when the freight probably was not needed for a day or two anyway. Dispatch just had more loads to get moved, or at least picked up.

You are probably better off working for a company that requires you to shut down when you are out of hours. However, calling the feds when attempted forced move from location could cause a contract loss for your company. (It's their problem!)

I hated the control just as much as anyone and for most of my years on the road, I stayed away from qual com companies. Of course that meant most freight deliveries we not critical. Yes, I ran illegal many times because I wanted the turn around that was waiting.

Yours only responsibility is your life and your future. To day it is too big a risk!

Stay legal.

10. Lucky142

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    In some states you won't get a parking ticket on private property, but in California they can and do. I would check the local laws before parking where you might get a ticket.

11. Lucky142

Jun 19, 2007
    Spokane, WA - USA
    10-4 - In my case, I just demanded dispatch reschedule delivery if there was not the hours available and no place to park. It's their fault for scheduling delivery so tight.

Now, that is not a good thing when you need to make miles and money, but with the law the way it is today and the risk you are taking with your life and your future, it may be better to change companies than to continue putting up with unfriendly loads. Unfortunately, this leads to many companies over a life time rather than a solid work record.

There is no protection from Government for drivers. The job all to often requires drivers to run illegal. Companies that restrict drivers by qual com monitoring are the safest to work for; even though they may not be the best for income.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.