Do's and Don'ts at Landstar?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Trucking Popeye, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Reading what I have, here, I can't see a whole lot wrong with Landstar, aside from e-logs. Seems to be better than most, if you're willing to learn the system.

Trucking Popeye Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OONewbie

OONewbie Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Charlotte,NC
    Trucking Popeye Thanks this.
  4. Trucking Popeye

Trucking Popeye Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Sitting in Indy waiting for my orientation over the next two days. They offered to put me up in a hotel, but I have decided to stay in my truck. Due to the fact that I have been off recovering from surgery and haven't been on the road since mid-December I am looking forward to spending the first night in my "new to me" 2010 Cascadia that I got from Lone Mountain.

Speaking of Lone Mountain --- GREAT FOLKS TO DEAL WITH. Everything....I mean everything was exactly as they told me it would be. They let me take the truck off of the lot for 2 days to get it inspected at whatever place I decided to do so (dealership) and fixed the only 1 minor thing that I found (steer tires were out of balance due to the fact that a weight had fallen off). Paperwork went smoothly and they covered every detail to my satisfaction. The truck had been completely detailed inside and out.... I couldn't ask for a better experience.

michaelg, OONewbie and kewphotog Thank this.
  5. OONewbie

OONewbie Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Charlotte,NC
    I too am going through lonemointaintrucks and they dropped a bomb on me today to inform me that there is a 11,000 mile cap per month and anything over 11k miles will cost me .12 cents per mile and is due to be paid once every 6 months.no way I'm settling for 11k miles every month to avoid a few extra hundred dollars a month more in payments. ..

Also POPEYE have you gotten a list of fixed expenses from Landstar so you know what your cpm bottom line will be?

6. rakusa

rakusa Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Now at LS coming from the path of Central kidnapped by Swift , the average (no special deals) L/O is at $1.25 with fsc at .30, empty was at $.95-$1 depending on years at Swift. figure .95 1st year and add a penny the second year and so on ...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    OONewbie Thanks this.
  7. blukatnga

blukatnga Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Warwick, Ga
    nice schedule !!

8. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I see your user name is OONewbie. Let me pass on a little advice. The secret to making money, especially at Landstar is to run your truck efficiently. Unlike a company driver, or a leased driver to a mileage based company, it isn't about the miles. If you choose the right loads you can run 8000 miles a month and make more than you did with other carriers driving 10000 a month. It isn't how much you make, it's how much you keep.

azcardnlz and vmaggs Thank this.
  9. challenger

challenger Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2012
    I am in the upstate New York Area an am looking to lease onto Landstar as well. I was thinking about leasing a trailer from Penske rather than land Star any advice on that.

I also know a O/O leased onto JB Hunt who is buying his second truck after 18 months, he's doing pretty well pulling Walmart and Sam's loads for JB

I have been a O/O for a year now but this isn't my first time. I currently run cans out of the NJ ports and am dam tired of the wasted time sitting waiting for them and then putting up with the piss poor port drivers. I clear approx. $3,000.00 a week after expenses in the ports but actually hate it. My company who I am leased onto begged me to stay because I get it done. They reward me with the high paying long runs. But, as I said it's the other bs that I can't stand.

I have done flatbed, refer, haz mat etc.. just would like to know what is the best at Land Star of those. And any advice?

10. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    i dont think landstar will let you lease a trailer from penske and then lease it on.

11. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Why wouldn't they let you lease a trailer from a third party and then run it with Landstar? Would this only be an issue with Penske?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.