DOT and log book

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GT3-Cup, May 17, 2024.

1. GT3-Cup

GT3-Cup Bobtail Member

May 17, 2024
    New to the forums here, hoping to get a couple of questions answered.

I work for a European vehicle repair shop. The owners recently purchased a Freightliner sport chassis with a 25500 GVWR, the trailer is a triple axle stacker trailer rated for over 10k. They didn't think the truck required someone with a CDL, but I explained to them the requirements. So they are paying for me to get my CDL again. I had it about 10 years ago, but for some reason I can't remember, I let it expire.

It will be used to haul our companies 2 race cars to tracks in multiple states by me as an employee of the company.

Trying to understand whether the truck requires a DOT number. I believe it does based off of what I've read, but the owners said we're not doing interstate commerce since we own the truck and cars being transported. The cars are being "rented", which in my mind makes it interstate commerce, but the owners say, the customers are paying for a subscription to drive the cars. Either way, to me its commerce.

So my questions.

Do you think it needs a DOT #?

Whether it requires a DOT or not, will I be required to keep a log book?

Thanks

Sal

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The Federal definition of a commercial vehicle (CMV) is 10K or higher (ignoring Hazmat). Ergo, DOT number, logbooks, medical card, all that jazz.

Bean Jr., TX2Day and GT3-Cup Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is commerce, your company's purpose is there to make money, no matter what the reasoning the owners have, it is commerce.

There is a question that was brought up about an authority needed for pickup and delivery of cars a while back on another forum. It seems that is needed but I would ask your state's trucking association.

GT3-Cup Thanks this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I tend to agree. In my opinion, for rent/for sale, it's a company moving a product for business, profit or financial gain. Its over 10K. It's commerce.
    I can't really show you a specific rule, but it's how I understand it in general. There maybe loop holes etc.

Bean Jr. and GT3-Cup Thank this.
  6. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'll give an example. My son-in-law owned a mulching business one time. The truck, trailer & mulcher was his. Daughter called me & said he was put out of service by a trooper. Wanted to know if I could go get his truck etc & get it home.
    He told me the reason he was stopped was because a dually was pulling a trailer with a mulcher on it with no markings. He stopped him to check it out.

He owned his equipment too. Not even renting or selling etc. His business was a service... just like your bosses.
    Again, I can't show you the regulation & there may be loop holes etc, but, in my opinion........

EDIT: I went back & looked up the pics I took of his violations:
    No CDL (OOS)
    No medical certificate
    No DOT inspection on truck
    No DOT inspection for trailer
    No Log Book (OOS)
    No break away on gooseneck (electric brakes) (OOS)

Not sure if he gave him a break for no numbers or if its not required, but I'd assume if there's a violation for no DOT inspection, it comes under DOT/FMCSA & it required numbers.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Bean Jr. and GT3-Cup Thank this.
  7. GT3-Cup

GT3-Cup Bobtail Member

May 17, 2024
    Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I've been trying to tell them. I told them for as little that it cost to get the DOT number, isn't it worth it?

Grumppy Thanks this.
  8. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    It ain't just the cost of getting the numbers......... he'll have to get with ALL the regs. All the little stuff.

9. TX2Day

TX2Day Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    Yes and...yes.

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Especially belonging to a drug testing consortium!

Grumppy and TX2Day Thank this.
  11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    You will need a DOT number in most cases IF the company is being paid to transport aforesaid mentioned cars then that is interstate commerce and the hours of service will apply. You will need an ELD. You will have to have interstate authority which requires a MC number AND you will need to set up an IFTA account in your state for fuel taxes. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registrat...t=Apart from federal regulations, some,Alaska

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.