DOT Help

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by SomewhereinWV, Aug 4, 2019.

1. SomewhereinWV

SomewhereinWV Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2019
    Sorry for the newbie questions that follow.

We recently designed and bought a custom trailer to showcase a product we sell. The aluminum trailer is 22’ and weighs 8500, fully loaded. We pull it with a F-250 diesel. It goes from NY to Florida. We don’t haul freight and don’t get collect any revenue while there. It’s just advertising.

1. As I understand it, I don’t need IFTA because the power unit doesn’t have 3 axles, info I found in their webpage. Does that sound right?

2. I still need a DOT number and need to follow those regs, right? The reason I’m confused is that FMSCA’s first question is “are you a motor carrier transporting property or passengers in commerce?” Well, I guess it’s our property but we don’t leave anything there or bring anything back. I’m addition, FMSCA, classifies a MC as “A motor carrier transports passengers or property for compensation” but we make no money off of this. It’s all a lose in advertising.
    Maybe I’m being too liberal.
    When we told the WV folks that we didn’t get paid to do it, they said we didn’t need anything other than a weighted tag. But I’m not sure it’s right.
    So, if we need a DOT, is there a reputable company that can help us be compliant - logs, making sure we’re doing it by the letter of the law? It’s not our business, really. We just want to be good folks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    baha Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK no matter what, if you are hauling any products to showcase to SELL, it is a commercial vehicle.

If you are hauling something to deliver to a customer, then it is a commercial vehicle.

If you are taking your product to use for your own entertainment or to install at your house, or something like that as an individual, YOU are private.

If you are driving beyond the 150 air mile rule, then you log.

People overthink all of this.

stwik, Bean Jr. and rachi Thank this.
  5. SomewhereinWV

Aug 4, 2019
    We can’t haul the product either. It’s illegal. We’re only transporting the trailer.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Is it edible & smokable?

Expeditor Thanks this.
  7. SomewhereinWV

Aug 4, 2019
    It’s alcohol. I didn’t mean to be so secretive though it seems like that. I should have included it.

stwik and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Even some more criteria. If you are a business, and you use trucks to haul your equipment, or your truck is the equipment, ie, snowplow, then it is a commercial vehicle.

Cross state lines and you need a US DOT number

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Kind of to add to @Ridgeline ..

Would you be moving this equipment if you were not using it to try to make money with?
    If you attempt to make money it's commercial. It really is that simple.

stwik and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. SomewhereinWV

Aug 4, 2019
    I wasn’t trying to be hard-headed, really. It’s just that I viewed it differently, even from a snowplow, because those folks are making money at their destination. I’m not. But I got it.

So, to stay compliant, is OOIDA the choice for someone to help us?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    1- plenty of two axle trucks pay IFTA. I don't think you need IFTA.
    Ifta requirements::
    To be qualified, a motor vehicle must travel in at least two IFTA jurisdictions, and: must weigh over 26,000 pounds, or have three or more axles on the power unit, or (less applicably to truck companies)::

You are a commercial Enterprise. If the truck or trailer are titled by your company. I think you would be required to have a USDOT number.

Another thing to look at.
    What kind of vehicle requires a cdl?

A CDL must be obtained by the driver of any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Also the weight rating for truck and trailer, not the actual weight of the vehicles.

Good luck

Proxy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.