DOT Med Card Question

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by truckerwes24, Feb 12, 2024.

1. truckerwes24

truckerwes24 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2024
    So, I was getting back into getting my CDL here in the next month. I had a dot med card from Nov of 22 to Nov of 23. It was issued for a year due to my blood sugar being 200 when it was tested. They issued it with the word I would go to my doctor. I did, it was under control, but then I lost insurance and couldn't get my metformin. It's been up here recently, around the 200 mark, but not enough to show up in my urine test for glucose. I have been keeping it around like 150-200 without eating any types of carbs and it goes down more if I do physical activity.

So about a month ago I went to have a physical done for a FedEx job, and my sugar was up that day due to eating a lot of carbs the night prior. It was like 250 or something and showed up in my urine test for glucose. I had also checked I was diabetic so they knew from the start. They said if I could bring back documentation from my doctor that it was under control and my a1c is under the 12 or whatever is required, I would be good.

Thing is, I can't go to my doctor as I don't have one anymore or have insurance for any of the test they want. If I went back like next week to a different provider, would they see that in the system that I already had one in progress or no? I plan to get to the doc after I get a job and stuff, but that won't be for months, and by then, my funding will be expired from the state who is paying for this as long as I pass within the next 60 days. So I planned to just not put I was diabetic on the paper this time until I can get to the doctor and get the required documentation.

So, TLDR, will it show up I had a DOT physical in progress from lets say MedExpress if I go to my local hospital who does them through the school I am going to locally? Can they even see if I had one before or in progress for that current one? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    140 is maximum blood sugar when they take blood samples I believe. Sugar is in also everything we eat. We have to really look for stuff with no sugar or very low if possible.

If people like soda drink Zevia it’s sweetened with Stevia and won’t raise blood sugar. Regular ketchup has lots of sugar vs Primal Kitchen ketchup that has no sugar

Don’t eat most fruits because they has lots of sugar. Bananas have lots of sugar and not good to eat .

Kevin Rutherford had show on satellite radio all about drivers controlling blood sugar and reversing diabetes. He would say lose weight without exercise or counting calories

Kevin Rutherford talk how people would eat a salad because it was healthier but people are still hungry. The problem was we need fat to make us feel full. That why fast food fulls people up for hours after eating it. Plus it taste good, the trick is we need to eat healthy fats.

one way to control blood sugar very fast is the carnivor diet. You eat almost all meat. When you start to look at sugar levels in every thing it crazy how much sugar is used to make cheap food. Ketchup has lots of sugar probably because it makes it taste good because they make it cheaper VS Primal Kitchen ketchup without sugar tase the same but is expensive compared to big brands you see everywhere.

You could try Berberine you can google it they say it will lower blood sugar

My understanding is if you stop eating sugar and carbs your blood sugar will drop very fast. The way Kevin Rutherford explains diabetes is our body becomes insulin resistance we can’t control blood sugar in blood with the insulin our body make. You can get blood sugar kit and check it yourself just like someone who is diabetic at Walmart or any pharmacy poking you fingers to check is no fun and I found I would rather eat less carb and sugar then have take blood sugar poke every day.

4. truckerwes24

Feb 12, 2024
    I know how to control it, but my question was will they see I had one in progress from like 3 weeks ago at a different location.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would think so. If someone gets DOT physical and fails they are supposed to send that information in so a driver cannot go to another DOT physical and just say everything is good and get passing medical card.

Thats what drivers use to do, if one doctor did not pass them. They would go look for another that would pass them. They use to have chiropractors at truck stop that could do DOT physicals and they were not as strict on all the rules and would pass more drivers.

So they changed the rules and DOT doctors had to take test and be on approved list. If someone fails they are supposed to report it so if driver goes to another DOT doctor and the driver doesn’t report the same stuff like high blood pressure. They can get the driver for doctors shopping and or just not on reporting their correct medical history. That will make the new medical card no good if they figure it out. How good the system actually works I don’t know but but doctor shopping was kinda a thing in the past

6. truckerwes24

Feb 12, 2024
    I didn't fail, I just had to bring a paper showing my a1c was under control. I technically passed, just wasn't fully processed. It was going to be issued for 2 years also is what he said.

7. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    ####! And I still got this Dr script pad! Just throw it away then?

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The Dr doing the physical is supposed to send in information if driver fails or pass.

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If the dr never sends anything in then I guess no proof driver was ever their.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.