DOT now checking Qualcomm?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by soon2betrucking, Feb 13, 2009.

1. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Here is my basic understanding of the QC issue. Your logs are still the primary source of information, however in the event of a more in depth audit (such as in the event of a serious accident) The QC (or blackberry for some of the LTL drivers) can be accessed for GPS data.

There is a basic understanding that the equipment like all technology has some faults, hopefully given time they will get some of these kinks out of the system. Also just a heads up for future technology (not sure if this is 100% or just frightened rumors) but soon trucks will be expected to have a blackbox comparible to what is kept in commercial aircraft.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois

FMCSA requires a carrier to keep RDS's for 6-months. However, and for income tax purposes many carriers maintain scanned copies in systems like Pegasis of Jacksonville, FL for as much as 7-years however my former employer, the FMCSA will rarely ask for data older than 6-months and that is only in case of criminal investigations.

I cannot verify your statement Re. Qualcom however I can state without question that prior to my retirement Qualcom, under contractual agreement with the individual carriers, kept the data for as long as the carrier wished. Qualcom then charged a price for data storage after a certain period (1-year memory serve) that did become rather rediculous and therefore usually considered unfeasible by most carriers. But this was quite a while ago.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. Electric Cowboy

Electric Cowboy Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Electric Cowboy, TN
    Well if you unplug it, you can't be tracked, I have a friend that is a company driver & that is what he does when he doesn't want to be found. Also if you have a galvanized bucket when you are parked just put it on top of it, no signal.
    EC ( The Driver In The Passing Lane)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    why would anyone want to jeapardize their job and put his company in jeapardy? that seems pretty unprofessional doesnt it?

psanderson Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The company I drove for, all miles had to be accounted for. You had to put miles into the fuel reader. If it did not agree, you had to have it adjusted. They would even adjust for a mile or so on rounding. Why risk it?

psanderson Thanks this.
  7. sidewinder429

sidewinder429 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Next generation is plugged into the ECM on the truck, crossed with GPS and will hold Data till signal is re aquired and then data is downloaded to the system. Newer units will show if you have tampered with it as well as cause ECM issues and possible damaging the engin and tranny.

8. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    Why would anyone be so stupid as to jeopardize their livelihood and disconnect the transponder? The first time the driver comes to a terminal and it's working, then it's not would be a sure indicator that the driver is doing that. After the first warning & it continues, that driver would lose his/her job it seems to me. And in these economic times it seems rather stupid to do that and put one's job in jeopardy.

By the way, and in may peoples opinion, those mudflaps that have those silhouettes such as on your posts are part of what makes people dislike this industry and think drivers are a bunch of less than honorable people. They also make you stick out like a sore thumb when you enter inspection stations.

I know of a driver that had one of those radiator covers with teeth on them. He was in an accident. When the jury saw the photos of that truck it was a dead give-away.

Vehicle & driver inspections are random. But random can be every truck that has those on the mudflaps or those radiator covers on them just as easily as every sixth truck and I know some state inspectors that pull their randoms that way. Usually they're not disappointed when it comes to issuing violations either and they don't need to look that hard.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    stranger and lonewolf4ad Thank this.
  9. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    trying to "hide" can also land the truck on police lookout lists as it will be reported stolen by some companies. If more people would worry about running legally instead of trying to fight the system they wouldn't have to worry about the majority of this stuff.

Roadmedic and psanderson Thank this.
  10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I certainly intend to, allowing a bit for grey areas. I wouldn't stop 1/2 hr. from a drop because I was out of hours.
    ...now where did I put that bucket of mine...

"Son, why is that bucket in your passenger seat?"...Uhhhh....

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Interesting thought.

How then do you justify telling the company that you will only run legal and then turn around and run illegal for your benefit.

Not good.

psanderson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.