DOT Numbers and starting out as an Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ddegetaire, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Ddegetaire

Ddegetaire Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I'm trying to get into driving for myself. I have a sole proprietor DBA but I see a lot of trucks with LLC. Does that part even matter or is it your DOT numbers that are the important part?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    As far as authority goes it doesn't matter. Long as you have usdot you're good. Don't think mc is needed to be displayed anymore but do need to have one.

Sole proprietor vs LLC is more for legal issues should you ever be sued. If you never intend to hire someone the LLC won't protect you if you're the driver anyway. I'm sure there's also some tax differences between them. But I think your ? was more in reference to the authority part of it....

PE_T, Tb0n3 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Ddegetaire

Apr 30, 2018
    Yes thank you. I was wondering that if I’m under a sole proprietor is it legal for me to drive. It will be just me so I’m not too worried about the LCC to get started.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you never have any plans to hire someone, sole proprietor is fine. I'm not sure how difficult it is to change your type of operation to LLC after the fact. This would be better answered by an accountant or someone who has walked this path before you.

6. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Not hard to create a LLC. For tax purposes there isn't even a difference between it and a sole proprietorship, it just limits your liability as, of course, the name suggests. If you decided to make any sort of corporation, that is when you get into having to mess more with taxes, because the corporation is taxed and then what you pay yourself is taxed.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Consult a lawyer and an accountant to see what is your best option.

Llc does not limit your liabilities because you are an owner, manager and driver.

PE_T, Tb0n3, Freddy57 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. The Gels

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    You should definitely use a lawyer to create one and ask questions about it. Or just be cheap and use legal zoom. It limits it in a way that if your company is sued, they can't take from you personally. That doesn't stop someone from suing you and the company though, which is likely if you're the driver and you do something stupid. As someone else posted, it is more important if you have employees, but you can also do it for that sweet LLC initials on your door.

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    LLC and corporations can limit your liability, just not in accident.

I have established a little business credit, something like $10,000 altogether. None of it required me as a personal guarantor. If something were to happen, they could only go after the company, and not me, unless I obtained it fraudulently.

The Gels Thanks this.
  10. The Gels

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Yeah, I forgot that part, probably the most practical part. Your loans are taken out as a company, rather than an individual.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Ddegetaire

Apr 30, 2018
    What is the benefits from going through a lawyer rather than just using legalzoom or something similar?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.