Dot on new federal law

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Nonameram4, Dec 23, 2020.

1. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Oh, well I guess it's good that Utah turned itself into pretty much regular state in term of alcohol purchases.
    But I clearly remember articles saying that back in a day you couldn't buy liquor from grocery store , or gas station like in rest of USA, you couldn't even put it on a shelf for clear view in restaurants

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Hell no it aint illegal in UT... I have delivered many, MANY, grossed out loads of hard liquor to Utah. According to the guy at the state liqour recieving facility in SLC, annual hard liquor sales in UT are very rapidly approaching $500 Million. This is before any taxes and does not include beer.

Edit: I just googled it to fact check his numbers...
    Capture+_2021-01-25-19-52-29.png

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    In several western states you can not buy hard liquor by the bottle (can buy drinks at a bar) anywhere other than a State operated Liquor store. I deliver quite a bit of liquor to such states.... Idaho, Utah, and Montana all have state controlled hard liquor sales... Possibly others.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    NO

6. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I can’t wait until there’s an effective/legal way to test for recency of cannabis use. Nobody has any business near a semi when under the influence of cannabis, or anything except caffeine. But try to argue that me smoking a joint after work on Friday night would effect me on Monday morning.

Bean Jr. and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It's a holdover from the days when many states did this to insure they got their tax collected. I lived in Virginia in the late 1960's and they still had ABC stores then. North Carolina had them back then too.

8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I've known a few people that messed up their lives with drugs. But it was mostly their choice. I don't like drugs so I don't do them. If others do, it should be their choice, not mine. The ability to test for recent use will need to be easily available before it is allowed with driving. And of course just like alcohol no drugs in the truck, open or not.

9. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    And they both have them still now. To ensure that they can charge 2x the normal price on any alcohol sold in their state + tax, of course.

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There still are states where you cannot buy hard liquor at grocery stores. Beer and wine only.
    Still many states with blue laws too. No Sunday sales. Some of these allow restaurant bars to sell on Sunday, some don't.

WildTiger1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.