DOT physical renewal drug test

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by joseph1853, Sep 15, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nice. That tells me you have a particular form that's not so bad. That's ok. I have no problem with it. I knew there was a reason why they just don't stick people.

You wont believe the drug testing they do to me each month. It's frigging 800 dollars in billing to insurance which has no choice but to pay it in full. That's about 8000 a year. Far in excess of any income from premiums. They are also in the hole 30,000 so far with me this year.

I expect a letter at any time canceling my #### because my old worn out honest wear and tear from a life time of trucking to the Nation is too expensive. I don't mean to complain or whine, but at least I can have a thank you for it. (Not from you or other drivers... this nation does not give a #### those who serve it outside of the Armed forces. //semi-rant.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Lol. I have it so bad I wear a pump. I have to recertify every 3 months. Took 17 dr appointments in 11 months just to get my med card. It cost thousands in lost wages and and thousands more for all of the 11 appointments per year to maintain my card. But hey. I don’t have it as bad as some.

joseph1853 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been taking pills for over 10 years, been sick of them finally.

I am beginning to wonder if I can benefit from a pump. If I can find a doctor willing to discover just how much liquid medicine it takes to eliminate my pain and fill that pump once every 6 weeks or 8 weeks and forget everything else.

Half tempted to let the butcher do a little slicing and install the pump and run a tubing to Spine C2 I think, roughly and run that medicine down the spine canal.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I have a relative who’s on the pump, definitely not easy street. Had to have a port put in, than change the needle pack several times a week. It’s primarily used for people who don’t have good sugar control. Not for someone who’s being managed well on pills. The normal next steps after pills are self injections, not fun but bearable. You better have good insurance as the insulin for the injections is very expensive. I take between 4 and 6 shots a day, if I didn’t have good insurance I’d be bankrupt. And I completely understand why you have to have excellent control of your diabetes, to get a medical card. If you don’t have good control you can have an insulin reaction, which means your sugar level drops too low, and it will put you in a stupor that makes you feel and appear drunk. That’s when the crap hits the fan, and accidents happen.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i agree, the blood test is more accurate, but i think more "costly", as they would have to have test strips on hand at all times, as well as those lancets, then too, comes the disposal of the lancets.. much cheaper to pee in a cup. the "dip sticks" that they use, which has a lot of "pads" on them, do not cost as much as the lancets and test strips...then too, they would have to have a back up test meter, depending on how much one is used, the battery will die quickly.

my sister is a type 2 diabetic, i have seen her testing supply, and believe me, they ain't cheap for her if she had to pay, thank God for health benefits.>!!!!!

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    this is absolutely true. i will not be able to find this, unless i take all day to search, but many, many years ago, i think the late 1980's,-early 1990's, the CT state police chased a car driver, and shot out his tires, as they thought he was stone cold drunk.....he rolled over and crashed..

he lived, but they handcuffed him at the scene.

he was taken to the hospital and they ran the usual blood tox screen for booze...

they found he was near death due to his diabetes....

i do not know, how all that played out in the end....

i will try several searches, but no guarantee, i will find this info....some that lives in CT may recall this?

ok, this is NOT the story, but all to real a dangerous situation by cops being "too gun happy"..

Diabetic woman settles suit after being shot with stun gun by police, hopes for reforms

x1Heavy, joseph1853 and Zigzag777 Thank this.
  8. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Exactly what I was referring to. I was married to someone who had diabetes, she ran off the road on Rt 87 by the Lebanon Green, in Connecticut, no taser used. State trooper noticed a bag of diabetic testing supplies in the back seat. And no charges were filed, but initially he was positive she was drunk. Ambulance came and gave her a injection, she was fine, other than being embarrassed, My son was in the child seat as well. He was happily impressed by the fire trucks . Thankful for the CSP, being there first, with a smart Trooper on scene.

x1Heavy, joseph1853 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm. Diabetic driver. Usually the very last thought. Funny how people know so much and yet know so little.

That diabetic stupor is actually a life threatening coma. Im not sure of the mechanism how it kills a person but it can kill.

It's too bad the pump has to be maintained with additional support. The more I learn the less Im inclined to try it.

DOT medical test can be reduced from all that BS to one simple question...

Example x1Heavy's Flatbed Qualification School (That's 5000.00 tuition payable now please... //TEASE....)

Pour coffee in cup, no lid. Set cup front of shifter. Drive. Don't you spill it.

x1Heavy's DOT Medical Exam.

"You need a Doctor now or anytime soon?

"No"

Good. Here is your 2 year card. Go drive.

Along the same spirit I ask a question to discover a Diabetic person...

"You want some of that Sugar?"

The Diabetic will smile really big.

Non diabetics will do two things.

First say "WTF YOU!!! and some form of bad word"

Then Punch my teeth out. It's too bad I can only do that exam once before Dentures HE HE HE

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    joseph1853 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Has to be #### cheaper than that 800 #### dollars (Profanity... not good) for a wee wee. Get screwed with pants half off. Ugh.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  11. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    You are exactly wrong about it being for people without good control. Most Dr’s won’t even consider the pump for a patient with out almost perfect control. The stupor is called Hypoglycemia. Too low of blood sugar can put you into a diabetic coma.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.