DOT Proposes Use of Electronic Logbooks to Improve Efficiency, Safety in Commercial B

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LGarrison, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Add up the changes, ELD's, tighter physical enforcement, speed limiters, an aging driver population etc means the value of a CDL is likely going to increase. If you want a peek into the future look at how trucking is conducted in the EU.
    There are almost no owner operators, jobs are well paid with benefits and hard to get unless you are well qualified.
    That is why the Europeans are coming here for jobs. Downside for some is no more cowboys. Might take a little while but plan your future accordingly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Wow that well qualified part would disqualify probably 75% of the drivers out here and that include the o/o super truckers. That would be awesome! Get rid of the riffraff and maybe trucking would start being a good profession again.

4. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    just what the world needs, more robotic, docile men, who will conform to any rules made out by the very people who love to screw them for a profit

SheepDog, Joetro, Derailed and 2 others Thank this.
  5. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Be careful what you wish for ,where you fall in that 75% /25% just might surprise you and the rest of us. As for me I have the luxury of being able to turn in my keys when ever I want to.
    If these predictions come true, which I don't see it my self, I will no longer be semi retired.

Also I think the definition of riffraff my be in the eye of the beholder. Not the one looking in the mirror.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Would that include steering wheel holders like you?

jdiesel3406 Thanks this.
  7. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    People really need to stop using the term steering wheel holder. You just sound dumb when you use it. Anyone who drives a truck is a steering wheel holder unless you've figured out a different way to control these trucks that I haven't.
    I've found that guys who use it are either younger drivers that are trying to sound cool to older drivers or they are older drivers that are threatened by the younger generation of drivers and refuse to accept the way that trucking is changing and have to find a way to cope. If calling me a steering wheel holder makes you feel better then go for it. I know my skill level and why I can and can't do. I have 6 years in a truck and accident free. I've driven in every state in the us in every bit of weather you can think of from sunny skies to freezing rain and everything Inbetween. I've pulled dry van, reefers and tanks. So yeah I'll be a steering wheel holder. Whatever makes you feel better.

8. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Never mind. No sleep makes me grumpy.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Maybe in Western Europe. In countries like Poland or Ukraine a driver makes in a month what a stateside driver makes in a week. Otherwise I agree the American trucking industry is heading to be like the European one. Can anyone say they are surprised at the push to mandate E-logs? I'm not, I saw this coming five years ago.

10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I always felt that if your offended by the term "steering wheel holder" then you were one……Not calling anyone out of course…….

truckon, Joetro and Sly Fox Thank this.
  11. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    That model allready exists in highly congested regional areas.but does not apply with our vastly rural much larger country.....plus mr european future man with what little flexiblity us scofflaws i hesitate to use the term outlaws have left there arent enough trucks or drivers so wth are you going to find all these drivers to make up for the shortfall especially if you weed out 75%
    This whole strategy reeks of unintended consequences
    Of course not the first time o.o have been declared dead though young buck

Joetro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.