DOT rolls into repair shop lot to do inspections & issue tickets

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kenworth6969, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    No joke

Here is video of driver in line for blown tire repair, DOT shows up AND says inspection time and you got a violation!

If this happens to you what do you even do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Call the US Marshall's. Hahahaha
    That is so wrong.
    I thought the officer had to see the truck driving on a public road to issue a ticket like that.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's far from the first time similar incidents have happened with DOT officers.
    We had a driver in a brand new truck, first trip out with the truck. Texas DOT pulled him in for inspection.
    DOT told the driver to raise the hood on the truck. Brand new engine and clean, no leaks anywhere.
    The DOT officer kept pointing to gaskets and saying, "That one looks a little moist and will probably leak sometime."
    He kept doing that and wrote $600.00 worth of oil leak tickets. The driver didn't have to pay them; the company paid them, because there were no leaks at all.
    Really makes drivers despise those people.

5. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    (1) DO NOT play Rambo like CB and internet will tell you they would
    (2) Record the entire encounter, state the time during the recording
    (3) Take the ticket, and BE RESPECTFUL during the encounter
    (4) Get the work completed, in the paperwork, ask for them to reference the time you began the process "checked in", as well as the time work was completed
    (5) Get a lawyer and fight the citation.

Your other options are be a Richard, facing the potential of more aggression from the officers, or roll over and take it.

6. Adamali21

Adamali21 Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Lmao man these guys will do whatever it takes to make that money.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They make up their own rules.
    I remember a few truckstops that had signs on the door, "No Dot Officers Allowed"
    That sounds like a BS story, but I'm sure other older drivers can verify that.Those clowns used to cruise through truck stop parking lots looking for drivers to harass..Problem is, the truck stops were losing business because the word got out and many truckers wouldn't stop for fuel or meals, for fear of being harassed by DOT.

BigRedSA, Coffey, Last Call and 12 others Thank this.
  8. SoulScream84

Mar 21, 2020
    Given that you can hear his 4ways going, and that he knows why they are there before they exit the cruiser, they may have. He may have contacted BOSS shop en route and chose to limp it in, that's the problem with recordings you can start then from where you want to.

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I listened to the video again. It was the Mutha trucker that said he was waiting for an hour. With your explanation about the 4 ways being on. It seems plausible that he just arrived.
    Still I think it's wrong for the cop to give him a ticket in the parking lot.
    I have limped a couple times for a tire repair. Sometimes, better than parking partially in a lane of traffic, waiting for roadside.

10. SoulScream84

Mar 21, 2020
    I agree completely about it being BS, and I have limped in more than once. Unfortunately operating it under these conditions is technically a violation that can be cited. It's amazing that making the safe decision can be the illegal one.

396.7 should be in play here, as this is the intended purpose of the regulation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  11. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    If DOT can give violation at truck parked at repair shop whats stopping them for giving you violation if you stopped immediately on the shoulder

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.