DOT# state "A" Biz Address state "B"

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by I3IGBIRD26, Jun 28, 2021.

1. I3IGBIRD26

I3IGBIRD26 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    I originally registered my business in FL. I then filed a foreign LLC in CO since this is where the business will be located and any vehicles would be garaged. My DOT# was registered in FL and (I assume) would have to be on the side of truck as "USDOT 123456 FL" I technically have two legitimate business addresses. Is it ok to put CO address with FL DOT# on outside of truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You do not have to have your company location on the side of the truck

I3IGBIRD26, Rideandrepair and Judge Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve seen some big companies with different addresses on their Trucks. Don’t Understand why. Like Kemosabi49 it’s not required. Only Name, Truck unit #, and DOT#. Vin# for certain States, Colorado maybe, maybe others. Not sure about vin# myself. I don’t have it. Only what’s required.

I3IGBIRD26 Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You need to update your MCS-150 and file a change of address with the FMCSA to reflect your true and accurate physical location where the records are kept and the company is operated from.

Also, you would not put the state "FL" after your US DOT number if you are registered as an interstate motor carrier. The trucks you see with US DOT 1234567 FL or another state are intrastate only based in a state that rewuires a registerant only US DOT number for tracking purposes.

6. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Sorry to revive a dead(ish) thread but do you have double taxation issues? I know every state is different but this might be my reality when I relocate from Michigan to Ohio. Any thoughts?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.