Dot Truck Inspections

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by whtlinefvr, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I think we are on the same page.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    As far as bedding, there's no DOT regs. Although the mattress must be 4" thick. If we "need" or "feel" the interior is suspect, there's always a way in. But like you said earlier- don't be so paranoid. It's the s#$%bag truckers I look for!! Hope I didn't come off like a prick but just trying to help out a little.[/quote]

Whats up with having to have a 4" thick mattress? Seems like that should be the drivers choice.

4. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    Oh, man, I'm glad that I read the rest of this thread, because that got my blood boiling for a second. Whew! But, in the end, I totally agree with you. Even if the trooper is in the wrong, sign the ticket and fight it later, because the more that the driver argues and gets stupid, the more the trooper writes. And it gets expensive when you guys write too much. :biggrin_25512:

5. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    I was on my way back from California one Sunday morning....everything was quiet ...my co-driver was asleep and I have the radio blasting some great music....I had just came into the state of Iowa...it seemed like I was the only truck on the road when I saw a Iowa Bear sitting in the medium. I got this pain in my stomach and something told me he was going to stop me...not for speeding 'cause I don't speed...so about 5 minutes later sure enough I looked in my mirror and saw his lights come on..I am on the interstate with no where to park or pull over so I put my turn signal on and proceeded to pull on the side of the road without getting stuck......
    I accomplished that and then put my emergency flashers on.....he walks up on the passenger side of the truck and ask for my cdl and I showed that to him and he ask me to come back to his patrol car and to bring my logbook, my permit book and registration for the truck and that he was going to do a Level 3 inspection... I gathered it all and I was shaking but did not want him to see....I was so cool....I sat down in his car while he did his thing and then he looked at me and told me I had just passed his Level 3 inspection and he couldn't find anything wrong.....I was relieved to hear that..I signed the inspection and he told me to have a good day....still shaking I managed to wish him the same....whew........I got back into the truck and pull onto the road and then he was gone.......I never expected to have an inspection beside the road on Sunday morning so it does pay to be prepared because you never know when DOT are going to pull you over....so I got $25 from the company for a passed inspection.....
    Take care and "be prepared".....be safe! :biggrin_2559:

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

"chance" favors the prepared

7. ILMChris

ILMChris Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Wilmington NC
    I just went through my DOT inspection and was given the thumbs up. But I was worried about the trailer. When I picked it up I didn't check the Document box for the paper work. When I did pull it out it was in a little plastic bag that looked like it hadn't been opened since Reagan was in office.

This is one of my weak areas (we went through the tractor stuff in orientation). I don't like being weak on anything. So when I get a new trailer (my company has nearly 2000) how do I check to make sure paper work is current. What do I look for?

I tried to do an internet search, but all I found was that Maine no longer required permits for regular trailers. I was worried when I saw a permit in the pack from 2004.

Help:biggrin_2554:

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The trailer will have the reg in it. Will probably say perm on it. The inspection papers should be in there as well. The truck DOT sticker will be on the truck somewhere and the trailer sticker will be on the trailer somewhere, frame etc.

9. ILMChris

ILMChris Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Wilmington NC
    For how long is a registration valid?

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The ones in my trailers say pernament.

11. ILMChris

ILMChris Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Wilmington NC
    Cool that's what I was thinking so check for registration, inspection record and sticker. Only the inspection should have a time limit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.