DOT violations.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by avrgus3r, Apr 18, 2024.

1. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    Hi, I have reported to my DM and submitted DVIR as well about ELD malfunction , cracked windshield and light. As I know these are DOT violations and I will get CSA points if I'm going to drive my truck as is. I got to a shop to get light fixed and they told me that company refused to fix it. Now my DM wants me to deliver the load despite all these issues I have with the truck. What I have to do? I don't want to get fired nor to get CSA points or even something worse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's a personal choice call.
    I'd deliver the load, then deal with the repairs.
    If then the company doesn't want to do the repairs, find another job.

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Can’t you replaced a light bulb or headlight ? If ELD is malfunctioning, use paper log for back up. Windshield ?, that depends, if it cracked on drivers side or passenger side. If you get pulled in for inspection, explain that it just happened and your on your way to the terminal.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It depends on the light, a bunch of our marker lights are hardwired in, while a lot of our midship and tail lights are riveted in. They're all led, so they don't tend to burn out but it is annoying to need a shop for something that simple.

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Have them send a message or email you from a company email address to run with the defects. If they give you any push back about confirming their desires in a written form - find a new company.

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Valid point. The OP didn’t say what kind of light it was. Regardless, they should teach newbies or offer a side class on basic maintenance while on the road to avoid any violations.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

How to change a headlight
    How to test a fuse
    How to replace a fuse

Just read your owners manual, search on a search engine or search on YouTube. If you can post on the forum you can search the internet or search YouTube.

Every road test should verify the job applicant can do these minor maintenance items to avoid a $300 service call.

Kyle G., gentleroger and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Tonyb123

Tonyb123 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Let your DM know about your concerns, push for a safe solution. Stand up for your safety and job.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK two things.

1 - the malfuncitoning ELD is easy, go paper! part of that is the cracked windshield, run with it. Don't worry about anything to do with it, unless it is shattered, most officers will just let you go if you tell them the company will get it fixed.

2 - which light? is it a headlight? is it a marker light? which light.

I again would run with it if it is something like a marker light.

Kyle G. and hope not dumb twucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.