Double Drop Trailer (What can I haul)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OldRed98, Oct 24, 2020.

1. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Well know of anyone that needs some glass hauled? :eek:

Its kind of a cool trailer. I need to find a wheel loader to see how it fits on or maybe try out my backhoe. Still not sure if I want to keep it or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Probably twist the trailer if you side load something heavy. If you go over the back you need 2 sets of ramps.

Buy a real rgn and save yourself a lot of problems.

old time, Opendeckin, stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Can you dropp the air out off the airbags?
    Or is it riding on springs?

5. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    It’s an air ride trailer. The air bags seem to stay pretty full even after the trailer has set for a while. Someone also took the 22.5’s off and changed to 24.5. Seems to ride high in the rear.

My other step deck has a height control valve so I can lower it. Might be able to put one on this trailer.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    IF the floor is strong enough,you could lower the trailer on a wood beam at the side to put less stress on it when you sideload.

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  7. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Thats a good idea. At least worth the try. I figure since I already own the trailer, I might as well play around with it. I ordered some stake pockets and pin on ends for my ramps. I'll weld them on when they get here. And see if I can figure out lowering the rear end.

I wish the well was a little bigger on this trailer. but it fits up my road. I have a long wheel base sleeper truck. A longer RGN won't fit and my step deck doesn't fit either. Real estate is so dang expensive here in Colorado it costs a lot to store your truck and trailer at a yard. All the local work I see is heavy equipment and hay. My friend said they've paid up to $3.50/mile for hay deliveries. Would be nice to wash my truck at home and hit the road when I have a load. Just need to see how round bales stack on the trailer too.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's a good trailer for hauling round bales and the big square bales even better, load it up. Had a neighbor years ago that hauled wheat straw to a mushroom plant on a trailer exactly like that which a local machine shop cut up and welded together from a typical flatbed he already had sitting around.

OldRed98 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Mostly anytime i see a double drop they are running hay... u might be able to put some ltl oversize stuff and try to put together some partials that wouldnt fit on stepdeck or flat.

OldRed98 Thanks this.
  10. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Hauling hay might be my go to. We have had a bad drought here this year. I know it slows down in the winter though.

I just have to figure how many rounds will fit on. My buddy wants 34 hauled. I know I’ll fit 30. Wonder if I can go 3 bales tall in the well. Squares look to fit great.

I haven’t hit the scale yet but this trailer feels pretty light. At least a lot lighter than my steel step deck tri axle.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    I have a question, this trailer is already 8’ 6 inches wide. If I add 2 inch stake POCKETS on the outside, I’ll be 8 foot 10 inches. Is it okay to have your tie towns extend to 8’ 10? Might be a dumb question but I’ve never bought a trailer that didn’t have tie downs already on it.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.