Down hill jake braking, what speed and gear do you use?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trukie, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Those steep hills back east would eat a lot more trucks if they weren't fairly short. And thankfully they see few of the idiots on those backroads. Same for the long hills off the Interstate in Colorado. It was rather a cluster when Glenwood Canyon was closed last year and the idiots who don't belong on I-70 to begin with were running Rabbit Ears WB and Monarch. Thankfully I was working elsewhere for most of that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trevor 57

Trevor 57 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2021
    Victoria Australia
    Good advice, then next time you will know better

4. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Some people have a problem with Loveland Pass, and that's not even that bad as far as mountains go. A while back, I-84 was closed WB when somebody spread a bunch of glue or something all over the highway. I jumped off at the Loves at the State line. I was gonna just go around all of it on US20. But looked at my time, and figured if I could just get to Baker City I would be good. So I ran the back roads, and I parked at Baker Truck Corral right as they opened 84. But on the way, some people were just losing their minds about how narrow the roads were, or the fact that parts of the route went through a National Forest. Just....dangit

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.