Downshifting going uphill

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TooTiredToTalk, Apr 7, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I believe my state will fail you on a road test if you float the gears. I don't know what CDL schools are teaching, but we all know they aren't teaching shifting or backing.

TooTiredToTalk and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I don't know if you just accidentally worded this wrong, but engaging the tranny brake won't slow down the engine any faster. At that point, the input shaft is disengaged from the engine.

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Ya know I was talking to a buddy yesterday about cars and the fact that you can't buy a pickup truck with a manual transmission unless you get a Toyota or Nissan.

He claims he read somewhere that only 18% of Americans can still drive a manual transmission. I haven't bothered to look it up, but if that's accurate, it's sad

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Rams with diesels were the last full size trucks you could still get with a manual and 2018 was the last year for that.

I went to get a tire patched last week on mine and had to holler at the guy who went out to pull it in the bay after he stalled it because he couldn’t find the parking brake. It’s not a Mustang. You don’t have to give it any pedal to take off. :mad:

6. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    I don’t think it does any damage, it’s just compensating for the hill, normally good entry for my gears are around 14-16

TooTiredToTalk and goga Thank this.
  7. PumpkinOvalHead

PumpkinOvalHead Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2022
    I grew up on a farm, driving farm tractors with a clutch from age 10 to 18. Our truck was a 5 speed manual with an electric overdrive. I backed up 4 wheeled hay wagons, 2 wheeled manure spreaders, etc.
    My first car was a 3 on the tree Ford.
    In my CDL class there were guys that had never driven a clutch before….a few of them dropped out.
    They had a lot to learn. We had a circle two lane road around the campus to do some practice driving. One guy got over the center line and hit the schools new trailer on another oncoming tractor trailer. We couldn’t believe it.
    On the first day on the driving range, a student backed a tractor up to a trailer to hook up to it way too fast, and it looked like he was going to hit the trailer. But he slammed on the brakes, without putting the clutch in, and snapped the ujoint right off…..a brand new ujoint just installed the prior day.
    The head instructor always kept calm through it all.
    It was a fun class to see all the crazy things the students did!

8. PumpkinOvalHead

Jan 23, 2022
    My school was thru a Community College.
    We spent so much time on the driving range backing up, that I started going full throttle in reverse to get thru the lane in 30 seconds instead of a full minute at idle, with a van trailer. A couple of the guys in the truck started doing it too. An instructor told us it wasn’t safe to do that, but he admired our skill in being able to do it.

We also got pretty good at shifting the old 10 speed FD Freightliner in the low range. The driving range wasn’t big enough to get into the high range, but you could get it into 6th gear right at the end and then hit the brakes.

9. PumpkinOvalHead

Jan 23, 2022
    Follow up to OP. My first comment needs some clarification. So when I look at an 18 speed, I think of it as an 8 speed transmission, with a hi lo in each gear. An 8 speed is not that different from a 10 speed in terms of ground speed in each gear. When I drive, I count the gears as I shift. So I count to 8, and whether I am shifting to a hi or low split with the splitter button.

Per the shift diagram, there are 8 gears, as you don’t use super Lo very often and each of the 8 gears is split to a hi and lo.
    So for hill climbing, dropping to 7th gear should get you up most hill climbs on interstates. On state highways, you could be on steeper climbs, and you might have to drop to 6th gear.

Attached Files:

10. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    I learned on a Kia Spectra early 2000's if I remember correctly. I learned back in 2016 because I wanted to drive for UPS and you had to know how to drive stick. Drivers used to learn in the trucks on their own, but they don't allow that anymore so I went out and bought that little car for $500 and started learning. That's the only reason I know how to drive a stick, so it helped a bit when I got into CDL school. I also chose a school that did not have any automatic trans trucks, so you had to learn on stick. Obviously we weren't going to be professionals out of school, but we got decent enough to where we passed! :)

goga Thanks this.
  11. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    Thank you for the clarification!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.