Downshifting going uphill

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TooTiredToTalk, Apr 7, 2022.

1. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    I'm so happy, I'm not in your state :cool:
    CDL school is a way to get CDL, nothing more. Actual driving and learning starts when real job starts, from what I know.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I was one of the first to have to do the CDL process. Maybe they weren’t serious about the driving part yet I can’t say. I remember he told me how many pull ups I could do on the skills and pass and any coasting in neutral was an automatic fail. I guess those were his 2 rules I floated the gears that’s the only way I knew. You watch it long enough it becomes second nature.

D.Tibbitt and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  4. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    To talk to certain people, is like trying to talk to a brick wall. Good heavens! Thank God I don't have to talk to or like everyone in this world because someone might be swallowing their own darn teeth! F### sakes.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    Indeed, the real world and the cones setup is very different! Yeah, I learned after that one and only fight on the CB to just stay off of it unless there is bad weather really. I was probably up all night pissed off at how ignorant so many drivers are. I literally told them that if they have the time to sit there and ##### about how long a driver is taking to try and back, then they have the time to get out of their truck and go and help/guide said driver otherwise they should stop #####ing and boy did that cause a frenzy! Something so simple yet true, and all the whiners got their panties in a bunch.

And glad you understand the whole not hitting anything than you did good! :) I mean I'm sure you have your moments where you're frustrated with how long someone is trying to back especially if you are waiting on them (as any of us probably have been at some point including myself), but at least there are those of us like you and I that know it is better to be slow and careful than cause any sort of damage whatsoever! :)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Many people have a hard time doing a long slow movement with one leg while simulataniously doing a quick precise movement with the other foot... I happen to be one of those people. I CAN double clutch if I absolutely have to, but it aint pretty. But I can float gears all day long and never scuff a gear.

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    This thread has to be a joke.

8. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Couple of times I've even was asked by the drivers, who took 15-20 times of tries to back into tight places and could not, to get into their truck and do it for them, so I did)

It is not complicated to be a normal person and have a compassion, when you see stressed out driver trying to do something they don't have a good handle on yet. The more they stress, the less they can do, as far as I could see.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  9. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    On a loaded truck on hills greater than 5%, many can be downshifted with a shifter movement that is more like a synchronized transmission, but you need to compensate for the turbo being fully spooled up with your right foot. Of you miss that opportunity there is typically one more shift point where you will lose a few 100 rpm from your ideal.

Biggest thing to learn besides the timing of your specific truck is to give up quickly and shoot for one more gear lower if you miss.

If you pay attention to the ideal safe speed in each gear will help with recovery. On the high side without splits most trucks are ~10mph apart in those speeds.

Shifting in mountain driving is 20% adjusting your shift speed and 80% knowing how to safely recover from a missed shift.

Note that most trucks also lose RPM much faster on the higher part of their range than the lower. If you have problems adjusting shift timing you can adjust RPM like most people typically do on up hill up-shifts but if you upshift high in the RPMs the timing for shifts at lower RPM will need to be slower.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  10. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Yes to the above :cool:

With 18 and 13 speed tranny it is better not to touch the splitter lever and shift straight like a 9 speed. Too many rpms are lost during the shift to use the split gears.

TooTiredToTalk and seagreg Thank this.
  11. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    That's true too. My instructor in school always told us to take a deep breath because if we missed a gear and stressed, everything only got worse because any sense of thinking went out the window.

I think it's great you help other drivers when they are struggling. So many drivers don't do that anymore because they get tired of being yelled at for trying to offer a helping hand or even advice. Only reason I would turn down help having then back my truck is because if anything happens, I would lose my job because the company prohibits anyone else from operating the truck.

goga Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.