1. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    I'm with you. I have just one question. You stated you would slow down and that's what I would do but the cdl manual states to increase your distance between you and the tailgater. I personally don't see how that would help because as soon as you speed up they would too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    "Drafting" is Tailgating period. A massed produced vehicle is not built to "Draft". Only certain race cars built to certain specs are able to draft when up to and above a certain speed (which is usually 160mph and above). And I know what you are thinking, certain massed produced vehicles can do over 160mph right out of the factory. True they can but they aren't built for "Drafting" because they don't have the rest of the specs.

When I'm tailgated, I'll just stay my course, watch my mirrors and hope they go around at some point. If it is another Big Rig, I let my weight dictate. Usually "SuperTrucker" goes around me when I slow up going up a hill. Most other vehicles do also.

4. americanmadeford

americanmadeford Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2007

No, absolutley not. Its just, a while back while pulling a loaded down trialer with my underpower F150 I noticed SIGNIFICANT power gains after trucks would get back in front of me after passing. Even at what I call a safe distance (for a 4-wheeler that inst loaded down) power gains could be felt.

Also, about Mythbusters. I think they failed to adequitly link their drafting segment with their tire exploding causing death segment... :biggrin_25513:

This make no sence. Anything that has ANY drag from the wind is "built" to draft.

5. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

What it states is correct, if you are tailgating, then YOU should slow down and increase your distance. AND, if you are being tailgated, you should slow down; the person behind you will get annoyed (wanting to get down the road) and will pass you, leaving you free to resume your previous speed.
    Of course, in inclement weather you can throw that clear out the window, since everyone wants to huddle up in those tight little, accident-waiting-to-happen bunches.

6. Rocket

Rocket Guest

I hate it when I can't see what's going on in front of me, so I'd never draft. Why would I want to be behind the bulk of a truck in my lil 4wheeler? To save a few dollars worth of gas? Bah!

7. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    ...get hit with rocks, etc.--also cant see junk in the road...when in my personal vehicle, I pass a big truck quickly, esp. in hot summer when a tire could explode--the concussion of the blast could 'scare' you off the road!!:biggrin_2553:

8. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Alot of crazy myths and urban legends in this thread. Can you guys tell me the story about the man with a hook for a hand?:yes2557:

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I heard about that guy. Wasn't he a proctologist somewhere?

10. onexcop

onexcop Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I don't know, but I can hook you up with him if you like.

11. Kane

Kane Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry, but you have that backwards. It says to increase the "following distance". This is the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. This will allow you to come to a slower and more controled stop if something happens in front of you, reducing the chance that the tailgater will hit you.

From the CDL, section 2.7.2 - Space Behind:

If you find yourself being tailgated, here are some
    things you can do to reduce the chances of a
    crash.

Avoid quick changes. If you have to slow down

or turn, signal early, and reduce speed very
    gradually.

Increase your following distance. Opening up

room in front of you will help you to avoid
    having to make sudden speed or direction
    changes. It also makes it easier for the
    tailgater to get around you.

Don't speed up. It's safer to be tailgated at a

low speed than a high speed.

Avoid tricks. Don't turn on your taillights or

flash your brake lights. Follow the suggestions
    above.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.