drain air tanks every day the easier way

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by crucar1800, Apr 15, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I just finished draining my air tanks. It turns out you really want to drain the tanks until almost all the air is out. You will notice some moisture appearing. If you do it for only a few seconds, you won’t see this moisture, especially on the tank with the air dryer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My air drier works good, and it benefits anybody to keep theirs working. I do not however drain my tanks but once a year, then I put a quart of air line antifreeze in each one.
    I have seen trucks with so much water in the tanks it even got in all the valves inside the cab, interlock, fifth wheel slide, etc, and when it froze, it swelled the valves, so the gaskets didn't hold any more and they all leaked.

FlaSwampRat and PE_T Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The Bendix air dryer I have says to replace the dryer filter yearly and to drain the tanks every 3 months or 25k miles.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    #### someone else does that too.

I was gonna say...

FlaSwampRat and PE_T Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I know what the manufacturer suggest, and like I said I keep my drier working, to keep moisture out.
    I was just telling you what I do, it disperses the antifreeze over the winter and helps keep trailers from freezing too.
    Mow, if I was running Florida and surrounding states, I would not do it like this, but since I ran the alcan for years, and now run strictly Alaska, O do this and knock on wood, have never frozen up since I started.

PE_T and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I pop my gladhands off with full pressure every now and then. Even with drainig the tanks every few days, i still spew some junk out the hands

8. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I have had trucks come into the shop with the owner saying it needed a governor or compressor because it takes forever to barely build enough pressure to release the spring brakes. Get under the truck, pull the plugs and drain 3 gallons of water....go to go lol. It happens a lot more than I would think. Guys don't drain their tanks or maintain their driers.

x1Heavy and PE_T Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Make that three of everything plus two more from the rest of it. Embarrassing.

Had two beefs smack me in the head over a 5 gallon bucket overflowing like a bad toilet and say are you a trucker or are you a space man? Everyone knows how to drain THAT... HUMPH... Kids...

Little do they know. They died off...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.