Drilling/welding Pre-cautions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 7mouths2feed, May 28, 2009.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Tried to drill a few (6) holes in the frame. Burned up 3 bits even with cutting oil and barely made a dent. AFTER disconnecting the batteries, Can I use a plasma cutter to pop the holes and refine them with a drill bit? Plasma should minimize heat build-up and keep the heat concentrated to one spot.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Start with a sharp small bit and a very low speed drill. The steel should come out like an apple peel. I had six holes drilled in my truck, and it took less than 30 minutes.

It seemed the small bit with a very slow speed drill to get the pilot hole was the trick.

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    yup. slow and lots of oil. work up to the size you need. use good bits.

when they lengthen frames they generally run a sleave inside the rail that extends a few feet in front and in back of the weld for extra strength. although I have seen them done with no sleeve i'd not suggest putting allot of weight on a stretch like that. mostly done in show trucks for appearence reasons. or trucks that haul light

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Welding - always disconnect batteries, all positive and negative cables. Voltage spikes will travel through positive and ground circuits. If you weld next to the engine, you should even disconnect the main connectors to the ECM. Always make sure the ground clamp of your welder is in good shape and you have a really good connection.
    Drilling - Do not drill on the flanges, (horizontal sections of the frame). Do not use a torch or plasma cutter to "blow" holes in the frame. Try not to drill larger than 3/4" diameter. Always center punch to start your hole. Use a sharp bits. Start with a small bit and work your way up.

Dino soar, SAR and 7mouths2feed Thank this.
  6. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    use carbide bits

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I still remember the older International 4700, or older S-lines that all came with the frames hole punched for every model and configuration possible. The area around where the back of the cab/fuel tanks/battery boxes had factory holes everywhere. Looked like Swiss Cheese! LOL!

8. gkmissingca

gkmissingca Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread but...
    Can someone elaborate on what exactly the flanges are?

9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    On the side/flat only. Top/ bottom and corners are off limits.....that's where all the strength is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.