Driveline Bracket a Bit Off?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Mar 27, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I just noticed a bracket that holds the driveline in place is not straight. Last time they took it apart was about 2 years ago. They did some work on the front differential. I am not having any problems at the moment, but should I unbolt it to straighten it out, or just leave it as it is?

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD15

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Reason for edit: Truck model
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Itll proly be okay.

I always chew my guys for leaving them crooked. It takes a keen eye and care to get them straight as the holes are slotted in the frame bracket to allow for adjustment. When you tighten one side first that's how they get off like that.

Dino soar, Rideandrepair, A5¢ and 2 others Thank this.
  4. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    your steady bearing is rubber mounted and a 1/4 inch twist in the bracket holding it up is not a concern at this time.
    The most important thing to watch with the driveline is that it is in line to stop excess wear of your u-joints and that if split that the driveshaft is timed properly when reinstalled (marking both sides of the slip joint is the easy way in case it does not have "clocked" splines).
    Looking at the pictures I can see some weather checking of the support rubber and I think that you can expect to have to replace the bearing within the next year or so.

5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Zooming in on pic you notice the dirt sticking to dust shield. It's starting to loose grease. About time to change it anyhow. Should be installed in a resting position and square to mount.

Rideandrepair, PE_T and 650cat425 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.